3

Gabriella's POV:

I sat outside on the porch step the next day, watching the sun set below the trees that surrounded us. I sighed and took another sip of my tea that Mary had made me. The summer air was still warm and as I took a deep breath, I could smell the scent of pine and sap from the forest. I can't believe my father never showed this to me himself. It's so peaceful and calm here. It would seem he would enjoy it. Especially when he would have his moments of stress and sometimes anger. That was rare though, Zane told me. Before I was born, he told me my father was very emotional. He would get upset at the slightest hint of betrayal. Zane told me he had trust issues thanks to my grandfather for telling him things that should've never left a father's mouth.
Zane told me he would watch my father and the rest of my family from the woods and would see how my father behaved. He told me he was happy...they were all happy. So why did things turn out the way they were?

"Hey Gab," Nathan said as he came out to the porch with me. "It's getting late. Do you want to come in?"

"Nah," I say, trying to smile. "I think it was time I got some fresh air. Training today was rough and I always forget that outside is somewhere I can sit down and relax."

"Heh, yeah. Quill did do a number on us today," He says, taking a seat next to me. "I actually want to ask you a question."

"Shoot."

"Huh-Oh right! That's something people say now! Whoops," He chuckled. "Well, I wanted to ask you...now don't take this the wrong way. You're an amazing sword fighter. You always beat me...but why can't you beat Quill?"

"What do you mean? Quill is obviously a better fighter than me," I say, taking another sip of tea.

"He's self taught. You were trained by the best. Garroth Ro'Meave for crying out loud," He said softly, knowing that I was sensitive to hearing my father's name. "Hyria told me about him. Sure...she didn't have a lot of respect for him-not that she didn't hate him or anything but, she always thought he was an excellent swordsman. I would hope he would teach you a few things."

I smiled to myself, remembering those memories of training with my father. How we started with sticks when I was old enough. Also when I beat him for the first time. Maybe it was fake, I don't know. I realized Nathan was right. Why can't I beat Quill yet I can beat Nathan?

"I actually have no idea..." I admitted, shrugging. "My father trained me for years. I know everything he did. All the tricks and tips...everything. Maybe I'm just tired or nervous."

"Well, if it helps, remember that my pathetic brother is just a nerd," He smirked. "You can beat him any day."

I laughed and thanked him for the help. He asked me after a few minutes of silence;

"What were you thinking about before? You've been out here for a while."

I frowned and said;

"Coincidently, my father. My uncle told me that when they weren't on speaking terms," I joked a bit, slightly smiling, "that he would see my father and his family having fun all the time."

"Okay...so he was a stalker."

I elbowed him playfully and said;

"No. He was observant. It's just...I feel like I can somewhat connect to him now more than ever."

"How? You're not like your uncle."

"He was alone during that time...", I say, taking another sip. "He watched as things happened before him and he wasn't apart of it."

"But you're not alone," Nathan said after a while. "You have us."

I smiled up at him and said;

"I mean is that I feel like I lost my whole family. Now, I'm being a coward and watching as I let monsters rule my home from a far."

We both stared off into the distance for a while. I don't think he could say anything that wasn't the truth after that. He crossed his arms over his knees and leaned forward a bit. I just kept drinking my tea which was now lukewarm in the early evening. After a few more moments of silence he said;

"Then why don't you do something."

"You know I can't."

"Why?"

"Like you said. I can't even beat Quill in battle. How can I defeat the Divine Warriors if I can't beat two warlocks?"

"Well, maybe we just work a little harder," He said, turning to me. "All you need is a little more experience."

"...you think so?"

"I know so Gab. You're probably the second strongest girl I know."

I smirked, holding my tea in one hand with the other on my hip.

"Who's the first?"

"Mary of course!", He stated confidently. "It's like you're blind!"

We laughed and just enjoyed the rest of sunset together.

"It sure is beautiful," He said, looking up at it, his emerald eyes reflecting the glow.

"You can say that again."

"Guys!" Quill shouted, coming out as well. "I sense something in the forest!"

Nathan immediately stood up and demanded;

"What is it?"

"I sense,", Quill massaged his head as he focused on the forest. I've seen them do it a few times so I know how it works, "I sense a group of some sort. They all have some power and they don't feel friendly."

"How do you know?" I asked, now getting up myself.

"There's an aura about them," He said, still focusing. "I don't like it one bit."

"Do you know where they are?", Nathan asked, placing a hand on his brother's shoulder. Quill answered; "South...they are south from here."

"Then lets go,", I say, going inside to grab my sword that was by the door in the living room.

"No!", Quill shouted, grabbing my arm. "It's dangerous! We don't know what it is!"

"I can handle it!", I shouted back, tugging my arm away. "Besides, what if it's because of me that they are here?"

"What if it's that dragon?" Nathan asked.

He was right. We have been dealing with a dragon in the forest for a long time now. It always sends chills up my spine thinking about it. It's angry, empty white eyes. Grey and red scales that made it blend into the dark when it would attack. It's only attacked us twice but, it always makes me freeze in battle seeing it. I don't know why. I've seen wyrens before. Why do dragons give me the creeps?

"You said it was a group,", I insisted. "It's probably people looking for Gabriella Ro'Meave. If Irene is apart of it too, I know for a fact that they are armed with the best weapons possible."

"Come on Quill,", Nathan said gently. "You know that Gabbie can do this."

Quill sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose before saying;

"I'm not going to like this but, okay. If you get hurt though, don't say I didn't warn you."

I smiled and nodded, grabbing my sword.

"Then, lets kick some invader butt!"

"Never say that again."

Word Count
1221