15

Gabriella's POV:

He wasn't lying about the palace. My eyes widened at the sight of it. Gates guarded the front of my home with a fountain and garden greeting you before you walked to the front door. Two different guards stood in front and once they saw Laurance they opened the gates for him. They let us all in and my heart began to race as we got closer to the front door. I didn't know what was waiting for me and I slightly didn't want to. We walked up the steps and Laurance opened the large dark oak doors. He let my friends and I walk in first. He slipped in after, dismissing his other guards.

"Would you follow me upstairs to your mother's office?", He asked me. He looked back to Nathan and Quill and said; "Without your guards."

"Uh...I don't know about that,", Quill said. "I think my brother and I would be more comfortable if we went."

"There's no need,", He assured them. "We'll be back before you know it."

I silently told them to stay and handed them my bag. I kept my sword though, just in case. Laurance led me upstairs and down the hall. I noticed that he stopped where my father's old office was. I wondered what it looked like now since Irene came back to rule. He pushed open the door and I saw all the divine warriors, as well as the others, all turn to see me. Immediately, Irene, or my mother, I have no idea, smiled and got out of her seat. She came over and wrapped her arms around me in a embrace.

"It's so amazing to see you!", She said, while giving me a tight squeeze. I was frozen though...

This was the first time in centuries where my mother had hugged me. She smells like her, she looks like her, but it wasn't her. I hugged her back. I just couldn't hold back. When we parted she got a good look at me and her smile got even wider.

"You're absolutely gorgeous,", She said, rubbing my arms. "You have your father's eyes...a blessing really. There's a ring of brown around them too. When did that happen?"

"Recently,", I say, trying to smile.

I could tell that there was a wall between us. I could feel the tension in the room. She knew that I didn't love her, as much as she wanted me to. I knew what she did and she wasn't going to convince me otherwise.

"So...when I moved in, I saw that you have a dog now. Where is it, by chance?"

I had make up something. I left Diamond behind with the others as their guard dog in case they needed some extra help. Also, I don't think I could handle taking care of her in a situation like this.

"She passed away during the time I was gone,", I lied, cringing at the idea. "Sorry that you couldn't meet her."

"It's truly a shame,", She sighed. "I love animals."

"I know...Dad told me."

The room went silent. Irene folded her hands together in front of her and said, after a long pause; "I'm sure you're exhausted. Katelyn will be showing you to your room."

"Sounds good. Thank you."

•••

Katelyn led me down the hall. Seeing her up close for the first time wasn't as intimidating as I thought. It was more. She had the appearance of a stone cold warrior who never smiled. Her frosty blue hair was up in a bun, her pale skin that was exposed to me held scars in random areas, and her silver armor glistened in the sun light. She wore a dark purple cape, symbolizing Ru'an's colors I assumed.

"I would at least try to be more loving to your mother,", She said, randomly. "She missed you." I wanted to say something snarky but, I held back. I didn't want her to report it to Irene. "Your guards will be rooming a few doors down. Let us know if you need anything."