13

Gabriella's POV:

The trees around me made reality seem closed off from me. Like I couldn't get to it no matter how hard I tried. It caused me to get chills every time I thought about them. How many people got lost in these woods...how many people died in these woods.

"Maybe she should've gotten lost...,", I mumbled to myself.

I decided to rest for a bit. Everything around me was just too much and I needed to think. Tomorrow, I'll see her. The woman who killed my father. Whether or not she's my mother, I can't deny that there's justice that needs to be served. I guess I'll find out tomorrow what really happened...that is if she tells me.

"Gabbie?"

I turned my head to see Nathan. He looked really concerned and I knew I was the reason for it. I just couldn't stand to have him or any of the others to get involved in all of this.

"Can I sit here?", He asked.

I nodded and when he took a seat, I asked; "Did Quill send you here?"

He sighed and said; "No. I just know that you honestly couldn't get out of here yourself...and you probably wanted someone to talk to."

"I'm fine Nate...thanks though."

He frowned and sat back against a tree log. I hugged my legs to my chest and sat back myself on a tree across from him.

"Gabbie...you do realize your plan is stupid?", He smirked.

"Heh, what would you have done?"

"Have you come with us. Irene...she wants her relic back and you have it,", He explained. "If you go back there, you'll be in danger."

I smiled and asked in a baby voice; "Does Nate care about me?"

"Yes. Of course I do Gabbie,", He said rather harshly.

I went silent, seeing that I struck a nerve. "Sorry...look Nate. This is something I have to do on my own."

"Really? Is it? Cause last time I checked, you're always were open to things like this to Quill and I. Gabbie...I know what you're doing here. You're saying that this is what you have to do. That this is your responsibility."

"And why is that a bad thing?"

"I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that you have friends that can help you and are willing to help you."

I didn't respond. He knew my answer anyway.

"Zane forgot to mention one thing about you,", He said when I was again, silent. "You're just like your parents when it comes to allowing people to help you."

I raised an eyebrow, confused by that. He's never met my parents and unfortunately he never will. So, it confused me why he would say that and I think he saw it.

"Hyria told me all about them. She said that your mother, a kind soul, never wanted to put responsibility on others and depended on herself. Your father would do the same but, hate himself if he failed. They both were alike in that sense."

We were both quiet for a moment, maybe waiting for one of us to continue. I decided to.

"What should I do Nate?"

"I think your plan is dumb...but some of the elements are strong. Maybe have your friends from Ru'an return with you to be your 'Entourage'."

I shook my head and said; "Irene will question why they didn't return me straight away and their loyalty to her."

"Okay, then I'm stumped."

I smirked and stood up, taking out my sword.

"Kneel,", I commanded. Confused, he did so and looked up at me like I was crazy. Still, he chuckled at my actions and asked; "What are you doing?"

"I'm knighting you, silly."

His eyes went wide and he scrambled to his feet. "W-What?"

"Yes. Now kneel down again, I have to start."

He rolled his eyes and said; "You can't knight me Gabbie. Only lords can do that."

"Well, I am to be Lord some day. I'm just getting ahead."

"It's not like that."

I stuck my sword in the ground and took his hand. "When I am Lord someday, I want you to be by my side. I was planning to Knight you anyway. As well as Quill. You two know so much about me, it just seems fair."

He was still against it but, I urged him by saying; "I'll make Quill my fake head guard if you don't do this now."

He scrambled back to his knee and said; "I'm not having him fake boss me around I'm terrified on top of it all."

I laughed and pulled back my sword. I cleared my throat and announced; "I now pronounce you-"

"It's not a wedding ceremony,", He interrupted. "Sometimes you are such a blonde. Did your father every teach you the speech?"

"No...did he have to?"

"Wow...did he teach you anything about being a Lord?"

"That's not important! Just-Just tell me what to say."

"I don't know,", He shrugged.

"So why are you bugging me about it?", I exasperated. "Look...I'm gonna do it my way for now and then we can do this the proper way later."

"Whatever you say m'lady."

I took a deep breath and said, place my sword on his right shoulder, completely improvising; "In the name of your Lord, may you serve with loyalty."

"Good start."

"Oh would you-"

"I'm being serious. Now keep going."

I blushed in embarrassment and continued, placing my sword on his left shoulder this time. "In the name of your brothers and sisters, may you serve with honesty." I finally placed my sword on his right shoulder again and said; "In the name of Ru'an, may you serve with strength and intelligence...I dubbed thee, Sir Nathan...Knight of Ru'an."

He smiled and got up as I put my sword away. "It's my honor to serve you...M'Lord."

He bowed and I curtsied, giggling again. He let out his arm and asked; "As my first duty, my I escort you back to camp safely so I can inform my brother of the news."

"Yes. I would love to,", I say, taking his arm.

We walked back home, laughing at our ridiculous little scene but...it made me happy knowing that he was alright with my plan for after this mess. It made me happy knowing he was planning to stay by my side...no matter what.

Word Count
1075