19

Aphmau's POV:

I couldn't believe he was there. Right there. All that was keeping us apart was a wall of glass. I already had an experience like this with him and I don't want to go through it again. Not ever. Laurance and Dante were a little more expressive with their actions. They kept on slamming on the glass, hoping that it would just crack so maybe our voices could be heard better. Travis and Katelyn tried pushing on the glass, Lucinda was hitting her chain against it but, nothing was working. Garroth seemed to have given up himself on breaking the glass and was walking around to maybe find a different approach.

"Guys it's no use,", Vylad sighed, getting everyone's attention. "This is basically indestructible at this point. We should try and communicate with him instead of slamming our bodies against the barrier."

"Aph? What do you think?", Laurance asked.

At this point, I was even exhausted in death. So I went with Vylad's approach.

"Garroth!", I shouted, trying to get his attention. I tapped on the glass more gently, like a knock on the door and he turned to look at us. I was really able to take a look at his face but, now I saw that even he seemed tired and stressed. I smiled as comfortingly as I could and motioned for him to come over. He did and I immediately asked loudly; "Did Esmund turn on you?"

He shook his head and said most likely in the same volume; "We have a plan. I just...didn't realize how ridiculous it was till now."

Katelyn then asked; "What's the plan?"

"Edmund went to go help Gabriella,", He answered. We all waited for a little more elaboration but, nothing came. That's when I knew he decided to wing it. I gave him a look of utter disappointment and he looked at me like "what was I supposed to do?"

"You do realize you could've done it yourself and not be in this situation,", Aaron suggested, leaning against the glass. That's when Garroth smiled awkwardly and I knew he had something else hiding. I asked in the most monotone voice I could; "You already used it didn't you?"

He nodded his head and the whole group just moaned.

"You know we used our's wisely!", Dante shouted at him.

"In my defense I didn't have fifteen tries!", He protested.

"There's only nine of us,", Vylad corrected.

"And one of me!", Garroth added.

We all dropped the subject since I didn't matter at this point and I asked; "What has Irene done?"

Garroth frowned, knowing we didn't want to hear this but, said; "She's basically turned back the clock. She wants to redo everything."

"Is Gabriella okay?",I asked next.

He bit his lip but, nodded. "I'm worried but, I'm sure she's fine."

I don't know what Irene wants from her but, if she even touches her, I'll rip myself to shreds.

"All we have to do is hope,", He said, looking right at me. I took a deep breath and placed my hand on the glass. He did as well and I felt warmth come from the other side. I softly smiled, knowing that at least when we got out of this situation, we wouldn't be separated any longer. I just needed to be a bit more patient.

•••

Gabriella's POV:

Degory and I stood frozen. I couldn't believe who it was. My limbs were shaking as I got closer to him. His blonde hair and blue eyes were right there. Everything about him looked the same.

"D-Dad?", I asked.

He frowned and shook his head. "I'm sorry...but, I'm not your father."

"Then who are you?", Degory said, quite aggressively, pulling me back.

"I'm Esmund. I was sent here by your father to come and help,", He informed us. I knew for certain it was my father. His face was stern and cold. It was like watching a military officer giving directions to his men. My heart sank a little though. I thought deep down that there was a possibility he could be there...even if it was just for a few seconds. He saw this in me and said; "I know he would've wanted to do this himself but, there was no other way."

That didn't really change anything. In fact, it made it worse. It was like rubbing it in. That there was no possible way I could ever see my father again. But, there was no time to dwell on it. Esmund was here for a reason and he went right into it.

"Gabriella, you need to leave tonight. Irene is losing her patience. You can lead her to the Ro'Meave relic but, she might just have to force you to do it if she has to,", He said. "After she has it though...she will want to get rid of any trace of Ro'Meave blood in Ru'an. People are still loyal to you and she doesn't want that."

"How do you suggest we get out of here then?", I asked. "There's guard around every corner."

"That's why I'm here,", I could see a small smirk when he said that. It was like he was excited to get a little crazy again. "I'm here to...escort you all out."

I looked at Degory, a little terrified of this man who was posing as my father. He seemed to have the same feeling.

"Trust me,", He said. "Your father just wants you all safe and I want the same. Irene is delusional and, as much as your mother accepts the fact that time is irreversible, she is the representation of what can happen if those worries come out."

"But, I can't just leave Ru'an,", I said again.

"You're not. You're still walking the land and helping the people by leaving the city. When I escort you and your guards out, you need to find that relic."

"How long do we have until Irene disappears?", Quill asked, finally getting a little more confident again.

"...They are reaching the end of the opening. I'm sure a few will give up once they find out you have possession of the relic,", He assures us.

"Not Irene though,", I say, rolling my eyes.

"Exactly. That's why you need to get it first and find out a way to stop her before she can do any more damage."

"Are you suggesting-", Degory began before Esmund said; "Yes. I know it'll be difficult but, it has to be done."

I knew what he meant. I knew from the beginning that this truly was the only way out. I had to kill Irene or she won't give up.

"Do you all trust me?", Esmund asked, looking a little nervous actually.

The three of them looked to me and I nodded my head. We needed him and I was willing to give him that trust.

"We'll leave tonight. I want to look through the house though and get some investigation in before we leave. I don't think they're telling us everything,", I say. "Degory, could you accompany me?"

Degory agreed and I then turned to the other three. "You all stay out here. Make sure Irene doesn't see you yet Esmund. I'll come get you when I know it's safe."

"I'll come in when I know you need me,", Esmund sternly said. "I told your father that I will protect you and I can't go back knowing that I failed him."

I sighed and realized that my father and him were the same in some way. We went through the plan once more and Degory and I headed inside. The first place I wanted to check was Irene's office.

Word Count
1285