16 | tears and flashbacks

ADRIAN'S POV

I watched as she walked towards the pack house without glancing back. I was so angry with her. How dare she try and run away from me? I was her mate! She could have gotten herself killed if we hadn't reached there on time. My jaw clenched, in anger, as I locked the car and walked after her.

I slammed the bedroom door open and noticed her standing there looking in the mirror. My eyes softened a little as I saw her scratches and bruises. But, Ryder was quick to fill my mind with anger and images of what could have happened to Sklyar had we been a little late. I walked over to her, with long strides. As soon as she saw me, she quickly spun around and looked at me with wide eyes. She backed up into the dresser, in fear. I noticed she tried to move to the wide, but I grabbed her arm.

"Adrian, you're hurting me" she said, as she tried to pull her arm from my grip. I ignored her struggling, as I pulled her towards me.

"How dare you run away! WHY. DID. YOU. LEAVE?" I seethed, through clenched teeth. My voice dripped with venom and she cowered back, in fear.

"I..I was just-"

"WHAT? ANSWER ME, DAMN IT" I roared.

"I was...I needed to get away. I don't like..how..you treat me" she answered, her voice small.

I was too angry to have a proper conversation, so I pushed her away and stormed out of the room and went upstairs. I opened the door to the room and walked in. Mum had always loved painting and she had been teaching me how to paint since I was a toddler. This room reminded me of her. I sat at my canvas and began painting.

Hours later, I noticed I had finished painting. It was already late, so there was no point going back to my room. My eyes widened in shock, as I took in my painting. I hadn't even realised I had been painting Sklylar. Her beautiful brown eyes looked back at me, those gorgeous pools of chocolate mesmerising me. Her gorgeous smile took my breath away. How I wish I could see her smile right now, but all I caused was pain. I wasn't capable of caring. Of loving. All I could do was fill people with fear and pain. I was just like my father. She was right, I was a monster. Ever since that day, I wasn't the same Adrian I used to be.

~~~Flashback~~~

"Goodnight mummy" nine year old me said, as I pulled the blanket over myself and closed my eyes.

"Goodnight Adrian." she replied, as she kissed my cheek and stood up. I heard her softly whisper "Just remember, honey. I love you. I will always love you. I'm so proud of you, son." When I opened my eyes, she was no longer here. Why did that feel like a goodbye? I shook away my thoughts and tried to sleep. For the next hour, I tossed and turned but sleep didn't come to me.

I hadn't heard my father's heavy footsteps so I knew he wasn't home. I slowly left my room and walked to my parent's - more like mum's - room, to see the bed was empty. Where was she?

"Mum?" I called out, as I walked further into the room. I noticed light shining from beneath the toilet door so I walked towards it and knocked on the door. I called out for her but she didn't answer, so I opened the door and my eyes widened at the sight before me.

Mum lay in the bath, the water coloured red from blood. "No, no. Mum!" I yelled, as I ran to her. She was holding a knife to her arm, as she lay there. She wasn't breathing! I fell to my knees and cried, my heart shattering into a million pieces.

It was because of him. He made her do this! I would never forgive him.