say you won't let go.

8.

I met you in the dark, you lift me up

You made me feel as though I was enough,

We danced our night away, we drank too much

I held your hair back when you were throwing up

And then you smiled over your shoulder,

For a minute I was stone-cold sober,

I pulled you closer to my chest

And you asked me to stay over

I said I already I told ya,

I think that you should get some rest

I knew I loved you then,

But you never know

'Cause I played it cool when I was scared of letting go,

I knew I needed you,

But I never showed

But I wanna stay with you until we're grey and old

Just say you won't let go

--

Eddy was alright. Completely fine with everything. He was taught at a very young age, 'Perfect things don't exist. Whatever's perfect, it's temporary.' Maybe that's why he wasn't crying himself to sleep anymore. Or he was just too shocked. Everything was happening at lighting-fast speed. He didn't even know how he used to reach Brett's place and help him pack his stuff, he never understood how he spoke to him; his words automatically came out, he didn't understand how he was able to eat without throwing it all out. His body was on auto-pilot for 2 whole months. To make things even worse, Brett was talking less than usual. Both their smiles had faded, their humor was lost, their meaning in life had changed, their paths were different, their goals were different. They, themselves were soon going to be different.

Two months had come to an end. Eddy had a year left in school, but Brett was leaving today; for New York City. His flight was at 01:30 AM. Everything was packed and organized. His parents helped him get an apartment at a fairly reasonable price which was close to his college. His things were packed and moved. His clothes were neatly tucked in the suitcase, and his violin case was strapped on his shoulder. Probably the only thing close to Eddy he had, beside his texts and phone number. They never did video call each other, too awkward they both would say, so it was an unspoken mutual understanding that it would be the likewise now, too. So, Texts it is. Eddy was prepared to get less phone calls, he knew Brett would take up a lot of stress from work. He just hoped he would get a 'Goodnight, Eddy' at 2AM Brisbane time, everyday. He knew Brett doesn't sleep before 12.

Eddy and Brett got a cab. Eddy was too scared and tensed to drive and he wouldn't let Brett drive either. They got into the cab and in a matter of minutes were on the road to the airport. The air inside the car was suffocating. It felt as if the care were to engulf both the boys whole. They knew the car was not just driving on a road to the airport but also on a road to a potential heart-breaking future, atleast for one. Eddy would never be able to be a part of professional music, let alone a soloist; which was the dream ever since he was born. He would be left alone in Brisbane, growing up as a doctor. His life was always very evil and cruel to him, he always wondered if it was for a past life he might have had. When he was young, his indoor plants which he loved dearly caught on fire. His pet cat died too, at an early age. Now life was forcing Brett apart. He had hope that life would let him and Brett rekindle in the future. And he really hoped that life wouldn't be so cruel, so vile to him so as to keep them apart forever. The ray of light was narrow, but it was there. They might still be able to be friends after moving several thousands miles apart, after spending years without each other's company. Yes, they might.

The whole ride had an awkward silence. No one spoke to one another. Eddy's eyes were brimmed with tears. He was desperately holding onto his backpack so as to stop his hands from shaking too much. His knees felt weak even though he was sitting. Brett was looking out the window, staring at an invisible point outside. His brain was fogged up and incapable of forming coherent thoughts.

The ride seemed evilly slow for Eddy, as if life was trying and asking him to make the best of his time he had with Brett. While on the other hand, the ride seemed to go by in a second for Brett. He didn't even realize he was out of the cab with his luggage and violin. Eddy was in front of him giving a pitiful smile. His cheek-muscles cramped while he tried to put on a heavily crooked smile. A silent sigh escaped Eddy's lips as the first few words, in almost 6 hours, left his mouth, "So promise me this is not goodbye?" Brett's eyes widened at those words. Eddy's voice was low, unsure and definitely sad. Brett vigorously shook his head, "No, it's not. I promise." Eddy's pitiful smile widened just a little bit, his eyes were glistening now. He opened his arms and Brett ran into him, placing his nose right on his shoulder. Both of them were sobbing on each other, clutching so tight to never let go. The scene would have looked something out of a movie, or a book written by a person with not much feelings for its readers, but it was what it was. And it was the bitter-sweet truth of life.

Perfect things don't exist. Whatever's perfect, it's temporary.

This was the perfect moment to have existed. And it only lasted half a minute. Brett pulled out and returned the same sorrowful and pitiful smile. "I'll never make another best friend. Promise." Eddy smiled fully now. He had to stay strong, for at least as long as Brett was in front of him. "You have to go now. Remember me when you become a soloist, okay?" Brett chuckled "Yes I will, forever." Brett took his luggage in hand and passport in another. With a few, little steps he reached the security guard. Once the man saw his passport and ticket and was let in, he turned around one last time looking dead into the irises of Eddy. "Good night." he mouthed and Eddy whispered back, "Sweet dreams."

And Brett walked into the the building while Eddy's feet retreated back to the cab that was waiting. Silent tears fell down his cheeks as he saw the building slowly disappear. The tightness in his chest increased with every metre he passed. The pain in his stomach doubled. 

Under the starry night, two people destined to be together forever, drifted further apart.