𝚝𝚎𝚗

─────── • ❥ • ───────

As Renjun filed into the hall with the rest of the dawdling boys, his eyes scanned over the various girls wandering about with exposing leggings on and some of the more confident boys who had nabbed a ball and were kicking it around. It was sad, really, that he couldn't have cared less about reputation.

With a best friend like Jaemin and his love of writing letters to a handsome yet quiet boy, Renjun felt sussed.

He took a seat on the ground, his back against the filthy wall as he pulled his knees to his chest. Across the hall he could see Jeno in much the same position, though he had his eyes closed and head tilted back for rest.

So beautiful, the brunette thought, smiling slightly as his eyes forever remained loyal to one man. If only he could've held onto that previous conversation with the ravenette. If only he didn't freeze up when the other fixed his hair and hoodie....if only, if only, if only.

Like how Jaemin was a fool, Renjun was a coward. He had never built up the courage to initiate a simple conversation with Jeno, and it ate away at his conscience painfully. That was one thing that he deeply admired about Jaemin; his unwavering confidence.

As his gaze shifted slightly to the person who had interrupted his line of vision, he noticed it was none other than Donghyuck. The boy was simply standing there like a waste of space, taking away the only good picture Renjun could look at. Though as he studied the taller male more closely, he could see that they were both eying the same teen.

Lee Donghyuck was staring at Jeno, and what an amazing view that made. The dazed look in the younger's eyes was such a rarity, that it took Renjun by surprise. It was oh so familiar, because he himself wore the very same expression when thinking about the ravenette.

But that stare was cut off almost as quickly as it had come about. Donghyuck swiftly jogged to a group of boys messing around and acted like he hadn't just been entranced.

I'm just seeing things, right? The Chinese male wondered, looking down at his hands and studying the crease lines littering them. A cousin of his - and an annoying one at that - used to love trying to tell people's fortunes. He would 'read' everyone's palms and inform them of his findings. Renjun had always thought of it to be a load of crap, but suddenly wondered if hearing a sneak peak or two about what his life would become would benefit him.

Would I have a boyfriend? Will I always be alone? Can someone as cowardly as me actually end up with someone like that? He was starting to plague his own wild imagination with daunting thoughts, deciding to drop it altogether and focus on the present.

"Alright guys, line up along the red tape!" Their coach and physical education teacher barked as everyone scurried to stand along the withered red line forming a side of the boundary for the indoor basketball court.

Renjun watched Jeno stand up from the corner of his eye, noticing how he walked slowly and calculatedly to stand at the end. I want to stand beside him again, the teen thought, chewing agitatedly on his lower lip while the attendance register was announced. Everyone responded to their names, chatting away and ignoring the instructions given until the game was set up.

Jeno subtly retreated to the back of the hall as the teams were picked, sitting out and returning to his state of being half aware and half asleep. The older played with the ends of his sleeves, turning slightly to go and do the same....

But he chickened out. As soon as he took two steps in his direction, he promptly spun back around and returned to the line.

Ugh, grow a goddamn pair, Renjun! He inwardly screamed at himself, practically close to tears while drowning in his own frustration. Though he didn't try again.

He was too weak for that.

♤♤♤

Mark strolled through the halls comfortably, having a trail of friends following in his footsteps as he made his way towards the canteen. After coming home from the camping trip the night before, everyone he knew that hadn't participated, bombarded him with questions and complements.

Why? Because Lee Mark was desirable. He was the most popular senior to walk the halls, which led to a strange controversy regarding his weird little brother. Mark would give literally anyone the time of day, while Jeno - for the most part - pretended he was the only boy in the world.

The older of the Lee siblings was generous and kind all the same, defending the other ravenette even when it seemed pointless. He knew his brother was strange through everyone else's eyes, but he was specifically requested not to mention Jeno's OCD.

His attention flew to the boy racing straight towards him from the opposite direction, brown hair flying back off his forehead and the cutest smile adorning his face. "Markie!"

The older stopped in his place, surprising those of the students around him. Donghyuck leapt into his arms for a hug and ruffled his hair teasingly.

"Woah, I thought I was about to get ploughed down there," Mark chuckled, nudging the other's shoulder. "I've been gone three days, yet it feels like my absence lasted a lifetime around here."

"It felt that way," Hyuck gushed, turning around to walk with him to the canteen. "It's weird not having you around."

The older pursed his lips, smiling softly at knowing he was missed. The fact that Jeno had barely reacted to his arrival last night was like stab to the chest, though he knew that this was just the way he was.

"It's good to be back," he settled with, keeping his sights high and posture straight.

Having one of the two most important people in his life express their excitement to see him, was more than enough.

─────── • ❥ • ───────

𝗮 𝗹𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂; norenmin On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara