36.) Triple Dates

You know that feeling when you just know that something is wrong with somebody? Especially if you know that person so well? Like if they won’t talk to you and when they do, you get short responses and they don’t smile as much as they normally do?

Yeah, well that was happening with me and Kale right now.

Let me explain how this day has gone. I tried calling Kale three times through the day but every time, he wouldn’t answer and one time, he ignored my call! Worry was eating at me all day, and when Andy came over to start getting ready, she said she had no idea what was wrong with him either but he did seem kind of off when she talked to him last night and this morning.

So we got ready as she tried to calm me down, telling me that she was sure that I could make him feel better. Even though I’m pretty sure that it was me who he was mad at and I wondered if he finally snapped because of all of the lying. I asked Andy if he was still going on the date and she laughed, saying, “I don’t care if he wants to go or not, I will drag that boy by his hair if I have to.”

Ah, Andy. She always knows how to make me feel better.

So I got dressed in a really pretty dress. It was white on the top with a thick black belt above my waist and a gray ruffle sleeve only on my left shoulder. Below the thick belt, the dress poofed out in the slightest and was horizontally striped with black and white. Since we were going to be outside, I put on a pair of black dance shorts underneath and paired the dress with black flats. I put my hair in a wavy, loose pony tail down my back and went light on the makeup.

Andy was wearing a crème, layered and poofy dress that was tamed at her waist with a thin brown belt and a sheer white sleeve was draped over her right arm only. It was simple, but gorgeous. She had on brown flats and straightened her hair for once, also going light with makeup.

And after we were all ready, we piled into a limo. We being me, Andy, Tommy, and Kale who couldn’t wipe the frown off of his face.

“Kale, what’s wrong?” I pleaded, wrapping my arm around his because he wouldn’t hold my hand.

He looked at me for a short moment before turning away and not saying a word.

“Okay, you’re mad and I get it, but please talk to me so I can explain.” I nearly begged. I was pretty smart, so I found it obvious that he was mad because I’d been lying to him so much about practicing with Ryder. Because I can’t stand seeing him so angry at me, I decided that I was going to tell him just enough for him to not be mad, but enough so that he won’t be mad at me. Because him being mad at me was like having half of my heart ripped out, sorry for being so dramatic but I’m a dramatic person.

“I’m not mad.” He lied. “Why would I be?”

I opened my mouth to reply but Andy cut me to the chase.

“Would you two stop going at it and just enjoy the night?” She asked, well, more like snapped, glaring at Kale.

“Yeah, c’mon, Kale. Loosen up.” Tommy agreed lightly.

However, neither of them had an effect on him and the ride to Elle’s house was unbearably awkward. It wasn’t hard to tell that this night wasn’t going to be nearly as much fun as it seemed.

“Hey, y’all!” Elle grinned excitedly as she crawled into the limo, followed by Isaac.

“Hey.” I said with a small smile as we drove away.

“What’s up with all the long faces?” She asked, noticing the bad mood in the limo.

“Kale’s being a cranky pants.” Andy said, shooting her brother another dirty look.