35.) Misunderstandings

“No you weren’t.”

“Yes I was!”

“No. You weren’t.”

“I was, I swear!”

“Really, I’m sure it’s no big deal where you were, just tell me.”

“I told you, I was with Elle.” I insisted, sitting down on the edge of my bed.

Kale let out an aggravated sigh and sat beside me, knowing that neither one of us was going to win this debate. We’ve been at it for half an hour, when he came over this morning and asked me why I’d disappeared yesterday afternoon for another baseball practice with Ryder. I told him that I was with Elle and we went out for a late lunch and Elle backed me up, but Kale wasn’t having it. He insisted that Elle is obsessed with having things planned out so there was no way that she’d agree to a spontaneous lunch date.

“Let’s just drop it.” He mumbled, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his strong abs. “You know I love you, right? I would never do anything to hurt you.”

He leaned down and kissed the top of my head. “Yeah, I know.”

“You don’t love me back?” I asked with a pouty face as I laid my head on his shoulder.

He gave me a small smirk. “Maybe.”

I flipped over onto his lap so that I was straddling him with my fingers interlocking in his soft hair. “Then I guess I’ll have to convince you.” I whispered with my best seductive smile and hoped that it didn't look creepy at all.

“Yeah.” He croaked, moving his hands to my waist. “I guess you will.”

I giggled before ducking down and putting my lips on his.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“I can’t do this.” I tell Libby through the phone.

“Yes you can.” She insists.

I continue jogging on the treadmill with her on speaker phone and my iPhone resting in the small compartment in front of me. “I feel horrible about lying, though.”

“But you’re doing it for him.” She told me.

“I know, but-“ I started to whine, but she cut me off.

“Holly, how long have you been doing this thing with Ryder?”

“I don’t know, like a week and a half maybe.”

“And what does Kale think is happening?”

“I keep making up lies about going out with Elle or Andy, but he never believes it, he just lets it slide.”

“Then make up better lies.”

“If you haven’t noticed, I’m a horrible liar as it is.” A beep sounded, signaling that I got a text. “Oh, hang on, got a text.” I told her, grabbing my phone out of the holder and seeing that it was Ryder. I stopped the treadmill and read the message.

What types of pitches does Vogelsong throw?

I sighed, I’ve been getting these random texts throughout the week and most of them, I’d get wrong, but I’ve been getting better because I’ve been doing my research on baseball, the Giants, and this Ryan Vogelsong guy.

“Who is it?” Libby asked.

“Ryder.” I said, typing his reply with a smile, happy that I know the answer.