24.) Confessions

"We need to talk."

That's basically the universal symbol for 'I have bad news' or even worse. 'We're breaking up'. Nothing can come good of that sentence, everybody knows that. It's just an instinct to become anxious when you hear somebody say those four simple words.

So you can imagine my panic when I woke up to this sentence put into text form, sent by Kale.

I cancelled on him yesterday, so he's going to break up with me.

That's the only scenario that I could think of, but I just kept telling myself that I was totally overreacting. Kale wouldn't do that. He might be a little upset, but we hang out every day. So half of one day shouldn't be a big deal. Why was he going to break up with me?

Just the image of Kale breaking up with me in my head had me on the verge of tears and an emotional breakdown.

My mind ran with any other possible thing that the text could mean. Maybe I forgot a sock over there and he just wants to give it back. Maybe he has to tell me that he has a cold sore so we can't make out for a while. Maybe he wants to give me a new Pillow Pet or a puppy. I love puppies.

After I texted him that I was on my way, I looked in the mirror and made sure I looked perfect. I was playing the desperate card, wearing my shortest jean shorts and my tightest lacy tank top with my hair braided down my back and my eyes rimmed with eyeliner and mascara.

With a final reassuring deep breath, I moved away from my full length mirror and started my journey across the yard.

"Ew, where did your clothes go?" Jackson complained when I got downstairs.

My heart was full of bit, fat butterflies and my stomach was pounding in my chest. I was just a complete mess, so I decided to ignore Jackson and walk out the door, leaving him with no answer to his sarcastic question. When I got to Kale's house, I fixed a few stray hairs before sauntering in and wiping my sweaty palms on the sides of my jeans. One more deep breath and then I was knocking on Kale's door.

"Are you Holly?" His voice echoed into the hallway through the door.

"I am." I called back, trying  to hide the shakiness of my voice.

"Come in."

I swung open the door before I could run away and curl up in a tight ball on my bed like I wanted to do. I didn't want to be here, I didn't want to hear what he had to say. I couldn't handle it.

When I saw that he was sitting on his bed, I hurriedly moved to the couch, facing away from the bed and sat, stiff as a rock without even a hello kiss.

"Holly, what's wrong?" He asked in a worried voice as he hurried to my side and sat beside me.

I looked down at my lap, every muscle in my body was tense, waiting for the news to hit me like a ton of rocks. "W-what, um, what d-did you want to talk- Um, to talk about?" I croaked with an annoying, shaky stutter.

"Is that why you're freaking out?" He asked quietly, putting a rough hand on my cheek.

"Freaking out is an understatement." I mumbled.

"Hey, it's not bad." He said softly, cupping my face in both of his hands.

I absorbed this news and took another, relieved deep breath as all of my previous nerves shook away. "Then why did you scare me like that?" I demanded, playfully slapping his chest.

He laughed and leaned towards me, putting his lips on mine. He probably expected the kiss to be short and sweet, but I wasn't having any of that. I put my hands on his shoulders and deepened the kiss immediately, causing Kale to put his hands on my waist tightly. I kissed him like it was the last, because just a few seconds ago, I thought that I'd never kiss him again.