29.) Little Things

I woke up the next morning next to a sleeping Kale. I sighed and slid out of bed, slipping on my clothes that were strewn around the room from last night’s events. As I slid my shirt over my head, I noticed Kale’s eyes slowly sliding open and landing on me.

“Good morning.” He mumbled in his tired voice. I love his tired voice.

I laid back down beside him and kissed his cheek. “Morning.”

“Are you feeling better?” He asked.

That brought back all of the things that had happened yesterday before I came over. The fight with Jackson about Shane. My stomach plummeted when I remembered that Jackson knew about the Shane thing.

“Hey.” Kale spoke when he saw my change in mood. “Remember what I said yesterday, okay?”

I just nodded, still really unsure of everything. “I have no idea how you got my mind off of everything yesterday.” I admitted, thinking of how I went from an incredibly horrible mood with so many things on my mind to ending up in bed with Kale. “But thanks.”

He smiled and leaned in, kissing me softly. “Anything for you.”

“I love you.” I sighed, sitting up.

“Love you too.” He mumbled, still really tired.

“I should go.” I said softly, standing up from the bed.

“Are you going to go talk to him?” Kale asked.

I sighed and shrugged. “Maybe.”

“You should.”

I stuck my tongue out at him before we said our goodbyes and I was out of his room. In a matter of a few minutes, I was back at Jackson’s house and in the kitchen, making myself a bowl of cereal. 

As I was pouring the milk, I heard footsteps coming into the room. Before looking up, I told myself mentally that if it was Jackson, I’d talk to him and say ‘good morning’, even though I prayed that it was Ryder or that girl from yesterday.

But when I looked up, it was Jackson. In a quick instant, my confidence was gone and I quickly looked back down to the bowl of cereal I made, without saying a word. I kept telling myself to say something, but my throat wouldn’t spit out any sound. I heard him walking to the fridge and was glad that he didn’t make an attempt to greet me either, because I don’t think I’d be able to respond.

‘You are anything and everything, but weak, okay?’ Kale’s words radiated through my head and somehow, my throat warmed and somehow, words formed, making a sound.

“Good morning.” I said quietly, remaining at the counter and staring intently at my bowl of cereal. Jackson was behind me, still searching through the fridge.

“Morning.” He said casually. Morning? Just ‘morning’? I couldn’t tell if he was still mad or what the heck he was feeling.

Frustrated and determined to figure him out, I began to speak again. “So are you still mad or what?” I blurted, turning around to face him.

He looked up at me with a small smirk. “You can’t stand not knowing, can you?” He teased.

I raised my eyebrows at him, still very confused, and crossed my arms impatiently.

He sighed and his smirk turned into a small frown. “I’m not mad.”

“Then what’s going on?” I grunted.

“I want to know what happened.” He said calmly, leaning against the counter across from me.

“If you didn’t know what happened, we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now.” I mumbled.