Chapter 1: Morrow Bay is not what it seems?

Warning! Extremely slow start, bear with me. I promise you it gets better. The back story is worth it. Also, I'm not happy with the first couple of chapters, they suck, will be editing them soon! Plse give it a shot

You would think that I'd have some confidence now that I have overcome the tragedies that life has thrown my way, yet my nerves say otherwise. Driving through the parking lot, only to notice all the parked cars so early in the morning, was not seen as a benefit either. Getting out and walking through the iron gates was the biggest mission of all.

Once you entered through the gates there was no going back. I would have no choice but to take everything that the school was about to throw at me. The rusted metal sign at the top of the gates didn't manage to lift my spirit. The words 'Welcome to Morrow Bay Highschool' engraved onto it only made me squirm with butterflies. How on earth did I manage to get myself here?

Flashback:

I looked beside me and she was still asleep. It had already been an hour on the plane. Moving from my home town in Wakefield in Little Rock, Arkansas to California, San Luis Obispo, Morrow Bay, was one of the craziest and most impulsive decisions I had ever made. I was surprised how easily Gran agreed, I figured she was also tired of the depressing life we lead in Wakefield.The only thing we have left of Wakefield are the memories. We have to cherish the good ones and let go of the bad ones.

"Mam, can I interest you in anything?" The hostess asked, holding a tray of drinks and eats. 

"No thanks. I'm alright for now." I whispered, trying not to wake Gran up.

I watched the hostess walk away and then I began to day dream again. I was staring out the window of the plane, it seemed as if it were raining. Without really thinking I pushed my hand up against the window and imagined following the rain drop patterns with my fingers. It took me back to so many years before this when all still felt close to perfect.

My conscious got the better off me and soon I was standing back at the foot of my mother's grave. I knew it was me, she died because of me. I'm the one who suggested the weekend away for her. I'm the one who suggested the plane instead of the car. I'm the one who forgot to phone her before she left. How can I not blame myself? Even now in the plane I felt nervous, as if something bad was going to happen, as if I was going to die the same way my mother had, a plane crash. I didn't know how long I had been wallowing in my guilt because soon enough I was interrupted from my thoughts.  

"Miss, the plane has landed." the hostess called impatiently.   

"Gran wake up, we're here." I nudged her gently. The plane was already empty. Gran was still in a deep slumber and the hostess seemed to be getting impatient by the second. I got Gran's walking stick and nudged her again. She woke up, said nothing, took the walking stick and got up. She was still depressed and I understood that it would take time for her wounds to heal. I thanked the hostess and helped Gran out the plane. We got our luggage and headed to our car which had been brought to California for us."Gran after we unpack at our new house would you like to take a walk on the beach with me for a few minutes?" I asked as persuasively as I could.      

"Okay AJ." she replied, trying to sound enthusiastic.   

I could hear the lie behind her enthusiasm. I wouldn't force her if she didn't want to go,  though I wondered why for Gran had always loved the beach. I was sure it would cheer her up. Then again, when ever Gran was on the beach it was with my mom and I or Grandpa. It would only remind her of the memories we're supposed to let go of.