Chapter 34: Delving Deep into Darkness

AJanae's POV:

"Your bags packed Bells?" I ask the four year old and when she nods whilst clinging to her pink backpack, I smile softly and take the heavy case out of her arms. "Okay sweetie lets go and don't look so worried, I promise to visit often." I reassure her but as I leave out the front door she doesn't follow after me. I turn around and find her frozen just before the front door with an adorable pout on her face yet fear in her enormous brown eyes. "Bella we went over this already." I say gently. "I'm not leaving you permanently. I'll visit as much as possible, besides you love Gramps and Grammie. You're going to start school and make lots of other friends and you grammie promised that you can still visit Caleb and the other children at the children's home that I took you too. I thought you accepted that."

Her eyes begin to water as she stares at me, "I miss mommy."

My heart breaks at just the sight as I place the suitcase down before hauling her up into my arms, "Shhh Sweetie, everything is going to be okay." I coo and pat her back encouragingly. "Be strong for mommy."

After explaining to Bella how I lost my father at a young age, she began to calm down knowing that she wasn't alone and that I understand how disheartened she is. You'd think Bella was being bad, but my heart was breaking at the fact that I had to let her go after I'd grown so attached to the delicate little girl. 

She was fragile when she heard of her mother’s decease and when she attended the funeral she balled her little eyes out and it was difficult to restrain her from her own emotions. We haven't touched on the 'Devon' or 'daddy' subject as of yet and hopefully we won't ever have to because knowing that your father is a murderer can break you.

"I'll see you in a little bit AJanae. What you did for this little girl is truly amazing but now your time with her is up and it's time you give her to the right people so that she can finally move on." my gran tells me trying to comfort me because she knows that it will be more difficult for me than Bella to give her up and seeing her go with other people.

I nod at my gran and then carry the sniffling Bella out to Dean's new car, but as soon as she recognizes Dean's car a smile lights her features, "Uncle Slate is coming with?" she asks with excitement lacing her tone. She also referred to Dean as Slate no thanks to Drew’s influence.

I nod and smile at her, happy to see that she was happy. Over the past month she grew to love Dean and his weird sense of humor. That’s right, she's been staying with me for the past month. When the authorities couldn't contact any of her other relatives, they needed a temporary home for her or she'd be forced to be adopted and so Gran offered up our home and ever since then Bella and I had become inseparable.

She met Drew and Dean but is shy and cautious of Drew seeing as she witnessed him losing his temper. As of lately he's been busy handling his temper while Dean has stopped making himself so scarce and finally living up to his ‘best friend’ promise. He's around more often than I'd like, but Bella loves him, so that's a pro.

I open the back door for Bella and make sure she clicks her seatbelt into place. Then I get into the passenger seat after having greeted Dean. We’re all quiet as we drive downtown to the police station because we know what's waiting for us there. Bella's grandparents were located and are more than willing to take her in and they're currently waiting downtown for us to arrive. Dean and I both know that as soon as we arrive there Bella will be taken away from us and we will not be allowed to ever see her again. I lied to Bella when I said that I'd visit because truth is we've been disregarded as irrelevant since we're not even related by blood to Bella. In other words her grandparents preferred it if the tragic occurrences that have all happened to Bella, stays in her past, including Dean and I. They want Bella to forget everything that's happened and if Dean and I visited we'd only be a cruel reminder and to some extent I understood that.