Chapter 20: Incomplete Circle of Trust

AJanae's POV:

"Falcon? You okay?" I ask him as he stares blankly into nothing.

He quickly shakes his head and finds my eyes. "Yeah perfect." he answers and sits up straight in his seat. He goes back to focusing on the lecture our English teacher was giving.

He hasn't been the same since three days ago when he had ditched school after that little fit of his. He no longer pays attention to anything around him, not even his precious football is getting attention. He seems to be wandering in and out of his own world.

I must have been staring at him judging by the way he reacts, "Quit trying to fit the missing puzzle piece. I said I am fine, so could you stop analysing me. It's making me nervous." he says rudely and moves in his seat again.

"Falcon you're not fine. You can say it as much as you like, but it won't make it true. You don't have to explain yourself, that's not what I am asking for. I just want you to know that I am here if you want to talk about it." I say in reassurance.

A smile that has been hiding for the past four days makes its way onto his features. Knowing that I did that made me feel all warm inside."I will keep that in mind Nova." he states and sends a wink. I roll my eyes at his weak attempt to flirt. "But seriously thank you." I hear the faint whisper that comes off his lips.

I nod and watch as the saddened expression he's had all week sinks back in. "Hey!" I nudge him softly with my shoulder to get his attention and my attempt proves to be successful, what with the glower he's now giving me. "Cheer up already." I grin and give him another little push. 

"It's not possible when I feel as if I am about to drown." he mutters.

"It's cause you've forgotten to come up to the surface for air so now you're sinking like a stone." I whisper and he gives me an intense stare in response to my statement. "Look I know how it feels. Everything seems to be weighing on your shoulders and no one else seems to notice. You might feel like you're in such a rut right now but at the end of a tunnel there is always light..." I trail off because I was sure he was feeling something similar to how I sometimes feel. We actually do have more in common than the both of us will admit. "You have to fight against it." I finish softly.

"You're going all deep on me Nova?" he questions and then chuckles at my obviously puzzled expression. "Why do you even give a flying sherbet if I am coping or not? You shouldn't even care in the slightest."

"Because that's what friends do for each other, or acquaintances, or strangers or what ever category you've placed me under." I answer his question.

"You're under 'friends in testing' category." he grins mischievously so I smack him softly on his shoulder.

"Well at least it's something right. Being a partial friend of the great Fourie Falcon, a.k.a football star, slash player, slash bad-ass of the school, is a great achievement. In fact I am thrilled right now. I should be jumping up and down in pure bliss." I joke, knowing that what people choose to label him as won't affect the way I see him.

Maybe he was the bad boy type or the player heart breaker guy but that didn't mean anything to me. There is something different about him, as if the short tempered guy that sits before me isn't the real him. He rolls his eyes at my statement but laughs anyways, "Shut up," he grins and shakes his head.

The cheerful moment doesn't last long because we get interrupted by the one and only, Corona, slash Queen Bee of the school. "Fourie sweetie why are you talking to the b*tch?" she huffs in irritation as she glowers at me as if I should obliterate into thin air.