Chapter 37: Our Destination is Far Away

Fourie's POV:

"And you are one hundred percent sure about this?" I nod without hesitation, "Look you have never been the most well behaved student, but that was always overlooked because of your football talent. Last year you took us to championships. You're a natural born leader."

"Yeah well last year was a long time ago." I add as I glance around our head master's office, not that I wasn't acquainted with it already. I had been sent down here more than once because trouble always seemed to find me.

She observes me carefully before giving up on her persuasions. Nothing on this planet could make me change my mind. The risk of going back on my word held too much claim and stakes. She flips through my papers and signs the documents that I had requested. She glances up at me through her thick glasses, "You have spirit kid, you know that?"

I shake my head, "No. I really don't." I grow aggravated at her slowing it all down. I needed to get going. There's no time to relish what I use to have, freedom. "Can you please just sign the papers? I'm in a rush." I snap impatiently.

She sighs and leans back in her chair as she picks up the final document that needed to be signed. She grabs her clutch pen and I watch her, waiting for this to end. The longer it took, the harder it was. Her pen hovers over the document as she contemplates her decision, even though she doesn't really have a say in it at all. She peers over the rim of her glasses at me one final time, "So you're sure you want this?"

I run a hand down my face and huff, growing more impatient, "Yes. Yes, I'm sure." I confirm so that she could sign the papers and so that I could go home to do my bidding.

"There's just no convincing you, is there? You're just like your father, stubborn and hot headed." she states and my expression twists into a frown. It was not necessary to bring my father into it. Thinking about him and his condition was a whole other story, one that I was choosing to block out for the meantime. She sees the change in me at her last words and suddenly remembers why I didn't want to talk about it. It was all over the news at the time and everyone in the town heard about it, one way or another. "I apologize. I should not have-"

I cut her off and motion to the unsigned document, "Sign it. I need ink on that, not a blank piece of paper."

She shakes her head, "Of course. Sorry." the headmaster of Morrow Bay High School apologizes as she picks up her pen yet again and finally signs the document. She first staples the papers, purposely delaying the conduct, "You will be missed Mr Falcon. I hope you are aware of that." she states sadly as she hands me the papers, drawing our exchange to a close.

"I won't be missed, that's for sure." I reply, quickly snatching the documents out of her hand before she can change her mind and take them back. I push my chair back and stand up, "Thank you for your time."

The headmaster doesn't bother with a reply and for that I am grateful because goodbyes only make it harder. I open the office door leading back into the foyer. I am about to leave when her voice halts me in place, "I know that I haven't always been easy on you as a student, but I do wish you the utmost best for your future." 

I stop in the middle of the doorway, my back turned toward her, her words silencing me. "There is no future for people like me." I mutter, aware that it was inaudible from where she sat. Then I step out her office and into the opening. 

I close her door behind me as I begin walking toward the exit. On any normal day I'd lose my temper if someone bumped into me, but today when it happens I keep calm. It takes me back to the first day that AJanae had arrived and she bumped into me. It was me that got her here, but at the time I had no idea how she even looked like. All I know is that when she bumped into me, something inside me snapped and I changed. She was different, better, made me want to be better. However this time it isn't AJanae who bumps into me because she's halfway out of town by now. I glance to my right to see who it as my papers go flying out my hand and onto the dusty tiles.