Treasure Hunt | Chapter Nineteen

The last thing I wanted was for Treasure to be sick, and she seemed to be getting worse, fast, so sitting in the office at the pediatrician's was only making me more anxious.

"Hey," Loran rested his hand on my thigh. "It's gonna be alright," He whispered so Treasure, who was now laying on top of me, couldn't hear. "Nothing to get all worked up about."

I wanted to believe him, but the maternal instinct knew it wasn't something as simple as the cold or flu. I knew it was way worse, but what sane parent wants to believe that the feeling in their gut was right?

"Treasure." The same nurse who once called my name now called my daughter's. Even though she was extremely clingy to me today and for the last few days for that matter, she'd allowed Loran to carry her so that she could be measured and weighed and then taken to room three. "Dr. Christine will be in in a few minutes." She said and closed the door.

"Daddy." Treasure whined and now clung to me, tightly.

"I know." I kissed her clammy forehead and looked at Loran who seemed calm but I could see in those Lavender-Gray eyes that he was just as worried as I was.

"Knock, knock." Dr. Christine lightly rapped her knuckles on the door before opening it. "Uh-oh," She gave my daughter a sympathetic frown as she closed the door. "Someone doesn't look too happy."

Treasure didn't say anything.

"She's been like this the last few days." I began. "Moody, tired, won't eat, and an upset stomach. She can't catch her breath, either."

"There's also been blood in her urine, lately." Loran spoke up.

"Do you know for how long?" She asked as she checked my daughter's ears, nose, and throat.

"Started the day before yesterday." I said.

"So everything seems normal so far. Everything is clear, but all the symptoms to me sound like a urinary tract infection. She was a preemie so unfortunately she's more subject to these things. I'm gonna have the nurse draw some blood and have her give a urine sample. For pain, until we can get results in, just give her children's ibuprofen as needed, okay?"

"Okay." I nodded.

She offered me a smile, "The nurse'll be back in."

She left, and I silently prayed that it was as simple as she expected.

— Zach —