Treasure Hunt | Chapter Twenty-Eight

It was a phone call the next morning that woke me up. I reached for it as it rang from my bedside table, answering it and putting it to my ear as I sat up, my feet hitting the floor; Loran moved around behind me trying to get comfortable in his sleep once more. 

     "Hello?" I answered groggily, craning my neck to look at the clock. It was only 7:30 in the morning. 

     "Dalton, sorry to have to wake you this early." I recognized it to be Dr. Christine's very chirpy voice.

     "No, it's fine," I waved it off even though she clearly couldn't see me. "Is everything alright?"

     "I'd very much like it if you were able to bring Treasure in to the hospital for an ultrasound on her kidneys as soon as possible."

     "Yeah, um, I can bring in her later today if that's alright."

     "Yes, that'll be excellent. Three o'clock sound good? I'll be waiting there to stand in while she gets it done."

     "Yeah, three sounds good."

     "What was that about?" Loran slung his arm over my stomach and pulled me closer to him once I'd hung up the phone and laid back in the bed.

     "T has a kidney ultrasound at three." I replied and got comfortable against his body.

     "Dal, you've got that look on your face. It'll be okay."

     "What look?" I bit my lip as my eyes began to wet.

     "That one, the one that tells me you're going to cry." He leaned up on his elbow and kissed me hard on the lips. "I promise you, she's going to be okay. If its something serious, they'll have caught it in time, okay? Do you trust me?"

     "How can you be so sure?" I sniffled hard and wiped at my eyes until they felt raw. 

     "Because she's stronger than any illness she has." He said, reassuringly. "I love you, now let's go back to sleep. It's way too early to up."

     Abbie brought Treasure home, just as she said she would, at 11:30. As soon as she came in the door, I picked her up and swung her around, kissing her everywhere on her face and not wanting to let go of her ever again. "I missed you so much, Treasure," I hugged her tightly to my chest.

     "I missed you too, daddy," She giggled and tried to push me away.

     "Uh-uh," I pulled her closer again. "You're never leaving my side again."

     "Daddy!" She laughed. "Let me down!"

    Loran laughed as he rounded the corner, catching sight of a struggling Treasure in my arms. "Good luck, T, I don't think your daddy is gonna let you go for as long as he lives. He missed you so much, last night, he couldn't stop talking about when you were a baby."

     I felt my face heat up with the realization that I actually had, in fact, done that last night. I sat in her bedroom for over a good hour staring at her shadow box that hung up on her wall. "You're never going to another sleep over again, you hear me? I'll miss you way too much."

     She laughed again and hugged my neck tightly, placing a kiss on my cheek. "I missed you, too, daddy, but will you please put me down?" She puffed out her bottom lip and pouted. And when that didn't work, she turned to Loran and folded her hands, "Help!" She begged. Loran seemed it fit to help her this time as he came forth and grabbed her from my arms, setting her down to where she ran off, laughing up to her room.

     "Sounds like she had fun," He laughed.

     "She could have had fun here." I pouted.

     "Dalton," He grabbed me by my shoulders and pulled me into a tight hug. "You survived last night."

     "Just barely." I reminded him. 

     "I'd really hate to see you when she gets invited to her first sleepover from friends."

     "You'll be burying me out back." I said and he snorted, kissing me. 

     "...Babe, your shirt..." I was confused as I looked down at the grey shirt I was wearing and suddenly understood what he was saying. There were two small wet splotches on my shirt. "They kind of just happened."

     I covered them with my hands, grimacing as they felt warm, wet, and sticky. "I'm going to go change my shirt. Would you let T know she has an appointment?"

     He followed up the stairs behind me and then turned off into her room while I continued on to our's. I grabbed another t-shirt, a black one this time, and headed into our bathroom. I took the grey one off and tossed it into the hamper and looked at myself in the mirror, my chest was slightly swollen and sure enough, my nipples were the cause of the wetness. 

     What was going on?