Treasure Hunt | Chapter Five

I sat in the waiting room at my pediatrics' office by myself. Sometimes, I really hated being only sixteen. But I watched the other people in the waiting room along with me. To my right was a young, small family. A mother and father in their early twenties at least with a set of maybe two or three year old identical twin girls sitting on each other their laps. They were talking quietly to themselves while the girls giggled and played with each other from the other parent's lap. The people off to my left was a mother, maybe mid-forties, she had a teenage son next to her playing on his phone and a small daughter by her feet playing with some toys while she had engulfed herself in a magazine.

"Dalton McKnight," a nurse had come through the door and was now holding it open. Every time I came here, she was my nurse and she always had the same smile plastered on her face. She was extremely nice, she was in her thirties maybe with blonde hair long enough to fit into a small ponytail and she was a little overweight. "Come on back, sweetheart."

She measured me, 5'7"; took my weight, 150, so I'd gained 15 pounds from my normal 135; and she took my temperature, 99.5, it was up by two degrees.

"Go ahead to room 3 and I'll be right there." She said and I listened. I sat up on the table until my back touched the wall and she was shutting the door. "Will you please take off your jacket, I just need to check your blood pressure." She put the cuff around my arm and I began to get uncomfortable and it began to inflate, "120 over 80," she said as it began to deflate, "perfectly normal. Alright, I'll go tell the doctor that you're ready and she'll be in here in a few minutes, okay?"

"Mhm," I nodded.

She closed the door behind herself and I wasn't alone for too long because then there was a knock on the door before it opened, and on the other side was Dr. Christine. She was a nice enough lady and she'd been all of my sibling's doctor, so I'd practically known her all my life.

She held a clip board with a small laptop in her hands and set them on the end of the bed before closing the door once again. She then sat down on her chair or stool, whatever you want to call it and wheeled it until she was in front of me. "So, what brings you in today, Dalton? I haven't seen you in a while."

Before she'd came in the room, I'd managed to put my sweater back on. "A couple different things, actually."

"Like...?"

I hesitated. "You're a doctor, have you ever heard of the term 'hermaphrodite'?"

She seemed taken back for a minute, "Well, yes, I've vaguely studied it in medical school but I don't have that much knowledge concerning it, why do you ask?"

"It's where babies can be born with both sets of sex organs, isn't it?"

"Yes."

"Well..." I gulped. "I've been...different. And I looked up all my symptoms – I know that's not something that's usually reliable because people can put whatever they want on the internet, but all my symptoms had one major cause that they linked to."

"What are your symptoms?"

"My appetite has increased, my moods are constantly changing, I've always got a full bladder, I'm breaking out really bad, I always feel like I'm going to throw up, I'm gaining weight like it's going out of style, I can't focus on anything to save my life, and I'm a lot more tired than I've ever been."

"Half of these symptoms can relate to stress while the rest is more hormonal – have you been stressed out, lately?"

"Yes."

"Well, you're probably about at your wit's end with the stress and these are normal reactions for your body to do."

"My parents and my school think I'm depressed, but I know I'm not depressed." I paused. "I think I know what's wrong with me."

"What do you think is wrong with you?" She looked up at me from her laptop as she typed away on it.

"Remember how I said I looked up my symptoms and they all linked to one in particular?" She nodded as to acknowledge me, "Well, the one that they all linked to was pregnancy."

"Dalton," Her head suddenly snapped up so fast I thought she'd break it, "Dalton, that's a very far–sided conclusion you've got there."

"I'm almost 100% positive I am. I've even taken a pregnancy test at home and –"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," She held up her hands, "Slow down just a little, you've taken a pregnancy test?"

"Yes."

"And it came out positive?"

"Yes!"

"Do you have it on you? I'd like to see it..."

I fetched it from my pocket and handed it over to her willing. She took it and stared at it with wide eyes. "This is...what?" She spoke to herself. "I'm going to order you a blood and urine test, alright?"

I nodded and she left the room with the pregnancy test still in her hand. I sighed and squeezed my eyes shut.

She wouldn't believe me until she seen that my test results came back positive. And I knew they would, because why else would I be feeling this thing in my abdomen move a lot more than it had the other day?

I shouldn't have said 'thing'.

This wasn't a thing. It was a baby.

My baby.

--Abbie--