Treasure Hunt | Chapter Two

Treasure Hunt - Chapter Two

I hugged the porcelain bowl to me, it felt cool against my sweaty skin. I heaved as I felt yet another wave of nausea cross me, but it was only dry.

Once I was sure it had passed, I climbed to my feet and shakily flushed; I rinsed my mouth with cold water, it burned my raw throat, and then brushed my teeth. For the last week and a half, I'd suffered this every morning. I splashed cold water on my face and then patted it dry. I faced myself in the mirror and instantly grimaced at what I saw staring back at me.

Pale, clammy skin and dark circles that made my eyes seem sunken in, almost as if I was dead, and on top of that, the lower right side of my face was now broken out. I looked sickly and on the verge of entering puberty, twice.

Scowling, I shut the light off and went back into my room. It'd also become messy as I had no motivation to clean it. I changed from my grey t–shirt and flannel pajama pants to a pair of skinny jeans and a shirt that I'm more than positive fit me just last week. I stared at myself in the mirror and looked at the small belly I'd developed, I passed it off as the fact that my appetite had grown some, but now it was bigger than I remember. Not by much, but it was definitely bigger.

Maybe it was all in my head, maybe it wasn't. I don't know. I would have to ignore it for now, I only had twelve minutes to get to school on time and it's a twenty–five minute drive. Today was already proving to be against me.

"Dalton," Mrs. Fielder, my American History teacher, motioned for me to come to her desk as soon as I entered the class. "You're needed in the main office."

I sighed, there was small talk behind me – wonder what I'd done – and I left; walking down the long hall to the front of the building where the main office sat. I entered and was instantly greeted by the secretary.

"Just come back through here and go in those doors; they're all waiting for you." She explained.

"They?" I raised a brow, but she didn't reply. I followed her directions and ended up at two large black doors, there was a long sliver of checkered glass in the center of each.

I took a deep breath and entered; slightly taken back when I saw my parents sitting on one end of the table and my principal and guidance counselor on the other.

"Dalton," Mrs. Daniels, the principal, said. "Please, sit in between your parents."

"What's this about?" I asked as I sat.

"We're discussing your sudden change in your academic career and your home life." Mrs. Chan said, and began to speak. "In the last thirteen weeks, you've drastically changed. You're failing school, and your parents tell us that you're eating patterns have changed, as well as your sleeping schedule, as well as you're gaining weight and seem to be becoming lethargic–"

"So you're saying I'm becoming fat and lazy?" I demanded.

"No, no, not at all – but you're showing signs of being clinically depressed."

"Clinically depressed?" I scoffed. "I am not depressed!"

"Sweetheart, please just listen to what they've got to say–"

"No way in hell! I'm not depressed! I'm not suicidal! I'm not homicidal! Just because I've put on a little weight and go to sleep earlier than I used to doesn't mean anything!"

"Dalton, please we just want to help you–"

"I don't need any help, dammit." I slung my bag over my shoulder and stood. "I'm fucking fine, whether you'll believe it or not." I stormed out before they could protest and exited the building, going as fast as I could to my car, parked in the student lot.

I tossed my bag in the passenger's seat and put the key in the ignition, not starting it, though. I sat there, just to think. Lots of people become depressed after they've endured what I have. But I haven't, I know it's not depression.

But what could it have been? I continued to ask myself that as I felt a small kick from within my abdomen.

--- Identical Twins, Logan & Loran ---