Treasure Hunt | Chapter Six

She made me wait until the test results came in, so now I was on my way to the hospital with a prescribed ultrasound.

Oh yeah, and my mom was coming, too. Because I was still a minor, Dr. Christine's office notified her to tell her that I was going to the hospital, although they didn't tell her why.

I got there first and sat in the waiting room until she got there.

"What's this all about?" She asked as she found me, now standing in front of me.

I didn't answer her and then we were called back for registration.

"ID, medical cards, and insurance cards?" The elderly woman asked.

I fished out my license and the looked at my mom. She hesitated before rolling her eyes and digging them out. She gave them to me and I gave them to the woman.

"So what brings you in, today?" She asked as she typed my information in.

"My pediatrician sent me for a pelvic and abdomen ultrasound," I explained and handed her the prescription.

"You went to the doctors?" Mom stared at me, dumbfounded.

But I ignored her as the woman began to speak, "Okay, let me just put these on your left wrist." I held out my left arm and she snapped the two hospital bracelets in place. "Alright, I'll just need your mother's signature because you're a minor...and then the nurse will call you when she's ready."

She handed my mom the clipboard, she signed uneasily, gave it back, and then we were back in the waiting room.

"You know depression has multiple symptoms—"

"Will you quit with the depression shit?" I hissed at her. "It's not, alright? I'm so sick of you and dad shoving it down my throat."

She was silent until my name was called once again. "Dalton Mcknight?"

I stood and walked into the room, mom was now reluctant to follow me. I sat in the chair the woman directed me to and she hooked me up to another blood pressure cuff and took my temperature. Nothing had especially changed since this morning and she asked what brought me in, so I gave her the prescription.

After a few minutes, she handed it back and said, "This is Jeff, he's going to take you up to the labor and delivery floor to get you set up with an ultrasound tech."

I thanked her and we followed Jeff into the elevator and up to the third floor where he took us behind a set of doors.

"Go ahead and lay down on the bed, Michelle will be in in a few minutes."

"Okay." I said and laid on my back. Mom sat in the chair next to me, still not talking.

But that was okay, though. I liked the silence.

"Knock, knock." A woman with a chirpy voice opened the door, "Dalton?"

"Yes." I nodded.

"Great," She smiled and closed the door behind herself. "I'm Michelle and this must be mom?"

"Jenny." It was the first thing my mom had said in at least a half hour.

"Okay, well, I'm going to ask you to raise your shirt up over your abdomen and I'm going to lay a towel over your pants so they don't get gel all over them when I put it on your stomach, is that alright?"

"Yeah." I said.

She did what she said she was going to after she dimmed the lights and turned on the giant machine next to me. "It'll be cold." She said as she splurted the blue gel on my skin.

The black screen jumped to life as she stuck the want to me and moved it around, "Well, all of your organs look good," She laughed. She moved lower and then gasped, "Oh my, God."

"What?" Mom and I asked in unison, mom's a little more in a panic, though.

"I knew what I was looking for but I didn't expect to see this."

"And what is "this," exactly?" Mom demanded.

Michelle hesitated, moving around the wand a bit more. "As well as having a complete male set of reproductive organs, he also has an immature female anatomy."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Now she seemed mad.

"Look right here," Michelle outlined something that was small and almond shaped. "This right here is his right ovary. He's got a right ovary, fallopian tube, and a uterus, but no birth canal."

"That's impossible!" Mom protested.

"And right here, Michelle was specifically talking to me, now. "is your baby."