Treasure Hunt | Chapter Seventeen

Something was wrong.

I'd awoken extremely early, to harsh kicks from my uterus, almost like the baby was trying to break itself out. It hurt like hell, and I contemplated not attending school, these were my last two weeks until I switched to online school.

I laid in an Epsom salt bath for almost an hour before getting out, getting dressed, and driving myself to school because Ariel decided to skip and canoodle in bed all day.

The Epsom salt seemed to help for the first two periods, but then come third, and the pain was right back.

"Are you okay?" Drew questioned me from his desk next to mine.

All throughout my high school existence, I'd signed up for at least one class with all of my siblings. This class, just happened to be with Drew.

I shook my head. "I'm just in a lot of pain."

"Mr. Garcia, I think my brother's about to be sick." Drew was already up on his feet and pulling me to mine. He didn't wait for the teacher to respond. I was being pulled out the door and then tugged along down the hallway, towards the main office.

"Drew, I feel lightheaded." I clung to his arm, my feet now feeling like they were weighed down. "Dr – Drew?" I rasped; when had my mouth become so dry? The world spun around and around until Drew managed to catch me, his lips moved, but there was no words.

I heard muffled voices, and I couldn't make out what they were saying. I looked straight up, but my vision was fuzzy, I couldn't tell who was standing over me, their hands on either side of my face.

"You're doing great...," They whispered, their voice muffled.

I finally focused on the beeping, it was calming, even though I had no idea where it was coming from. I felt a dull ache in my chest – was it my chest? – and then the beeping became erratic, out of control, followed by more mumbling.

Suddenly, there was a set of gloved hands on either side of my head, keeping it still when it so desperately wanted to thrash to the side.

"Please don't do this to me, Dal, please don't." The voice cried. "Please, not again."

Again?

"Heart rate is stabilizing." I heard before everything became black.

But I didn't let unconsciousness fully consume me until I heard the sweet cry of a baby. And not just any baby.

But my Treasure.