Treasure Hunt | Thirty-Seven

The closet was the only safe place at this point to let it out. I locked myself in, Loran and everyone else was downstairs while Treasure lay asleep in her bed. I sat cross legged on the floor against the shelf that held my clothing and cried as hard as I could. 

     Why didn't my parents make sure she wasn't listening first? Dammit, why did he even have to do it? Why did he have to do it to me? Why me? Why? What did I do to deserve to be raped? What did I do so wrong that that's what I got? Why was I so stupid. Why was I so stupid to think that they were my friends. They were Peter's, not mine, I was just the annoying younger brother that liked to tag along, liked to felt included.

     Liked any kind of attention that came to him. And look where that got me. 

     Look what it got you.

     I scrubbed at my eyes, the voice in my head wasn't mine. Look what it got you. It repeated and I swallowed hard. You're feeling sorry for yourself over a situation you couldn't control and you most definitely can't change. But look what you got out of something so horrible. 

     The voice - one I didn't even remotely recognize - was right. I was feeling sorry for myself. It happened. I can't change it. And it gave me - he - gave me the most precious gift I could have ever received, even if it was under the most unfortunate of circumstances. 

     I climbed to my feet and took in a few deep breaths. I dried my eyes, they burned with rawness and I unlocked the door before going downstairs. 

     "I need to talk to you." I let out a ragged breath to Loran, who was sitting on the chair, boredly watching the basketball game Logan had recorded.

     "Dal, what happened?" He demanded, worry written all over his face as soon as he looked up at me. He stood up and I pulled him into the kitchen, wrapping my arms around his waist and burying my face into his chest before another wave of tears hit that I couldn't hold back. "Shh," I felt his lips press against the top of my head as he rubbed my back. "What happened, what's the matter?"

     "She knows everything," I pulled back, wiping my eyes again.

     "What are you talking about?"

     "Treasure - the only thing she doesn't know about is the baby." I choked out. "She heard my parents talking about the rape, she heard us talking at the hospital, Loran! She knows! She knows everything!" I couldn't help but scream, my emotions completely uncontrollable right now.

     "Hey, hey," He cupped my face, wiping my tears away, but even he was struggling to find the right words. "God, Dalton, I'm so sorry." He finally whispered, clutching me. "Did you explain everything to her?"

     "The best I could." I wheezed.

     "Does she...does she hate me?" He asked, his voice full of pain.

     "No," I said. "No, she doesn't." His face softened, "But..."

     "But?" He repeated.

     "But, she's asking about him, Loran, and I don't know what to tell her. She's asking me if he loves her, if he doesn't love her, and I just...I don't know what to tell her besides he's done something horrible! I mean, he doesn't even...he doesn't even know she exists."

     He rubbed my arms. "I don't know what to say, either." 

     "I don't know if I could handle her asking to meet him, Loran." I broke down again.

     He looked bewildered. "You'd let her meet him? After what he's done to you?"

     "Stop it, don't you dare yell at me." I stiffened up, pulling away from him completely.