#17: The Nameless One

Flashback

Holy Land

Ymir Family-Laboratory 

The young girl gained consciousness while being operated on by his father who was sweating a lot. Looking at the layer of skin that was burnt, the head of Ymir family bit his lips.

"Dad, why is it that I don't have a name?", the young girl looked at his father whose eyes are turning teary. "Our ancestors believed that names are things that bound, label, and limit us. Because of names, people murder, steal and turn more wicked. This family chose not to be labeled and to be free but... Regardless of that fact, the name of Ymir, the first of our ancestors to give a name for himself, left a mark on us. Because he was one of the 20 rulers who created the world government, we were caged in this land. Our original design to be free was taken away from us because of that man who took a name for himself", the white-haired man explained while trying to save what was left of his daughter.

A woman entered with a worried look in her eyes. She gasped and bit her tongue in order to stop herself from crying. But, no matter how much she tries to do so, she's still a mother who cannot take her sight away from her daughter's suffering. Tears left her eyes. "Shut the door, darling", the white-haired man instructed.

He went far from the child being operated on and pulled the woman to have small talk.

"Darling, I can't do anything to save her anymore with the equipment and the medicine that I have. Granted that I can save her upper body, I doubt that she'll be happy living with just that", he cupped his wife's face. "Dear, what are you trying to do?!", she grabbed his wrist.

"Cry as much as you want now, darling. Later, you will have to face the higher-ups with a strong face", he slowly withdrew his hands. "Dear, don't tell me you're going to use that operation on her. We don't even know what it does!", she opposed the said plan.

The white-haired man smiled and used his ability. "Listen, my child. I won't be able to give you a name. I'll leave your mom with that. I bet I'll just be picking an odd one", he felt ache all around his body while performing the operation. "I heard that a Celestial Dragon from Donquixote Family descended to live as a normal human being. Who knows what happened next? The Holy Land cut all its ties with them. But children, do you think they are free? Do you think they can do whatever they wanted to? Like just giving carrots to those hungry mouths?", he lost his balance and fell on the floor.

"Dear!", the woman caught him. "Help me stand", he groaned in pain and ready to finish the last step.

"Be free, my child. Don't let anyone dictate how you should live your life", he gave a smile and stitched the last one. Suddenly, he fell on the floor.

Present

Entrance to the Cave

"It travels deep. Be careful with your steps", Cat Viper warned them.

"Let's go, Seri. We'll be left behind", Nami watched as Luffy and Ussop hops from one stair to the other. Some of them are already out of sight.

"I'll stay here", Seri waved her hand.

"Quit being a scared cat and just follow us", Trafalgar pushed her towards the stairs.

It's a good thing that Carrot was there to catch her.

"Garichu! Wah~ her skin is so smooth" Carrot commented."Ah, thanks. You can put me down now", Seri nervously chuckled. "Don't push people around. She's not some crazy nuts like you people who would enter any cave you see!!!", Nami shouted at Trafalgar.