Alexa

I spent the Sunday at Chase's house with his mother and Miley.
     Time passed, and I spent more and more time at his house. We had already made some habits, having dinner together every night, on Saturdays we went out with Miley so that Chase's mother could have some time for her, and on Sundays we spent them all together, doing different things, playing games or just sitting on the terrace behind Chase's house, drinking some tea and talking. Everything had become a routine, becoming a normal thing, as if things had been going on like this for so many years. Chase and I began to feel comfortable around Kristine, who pushed us to feel "at ease." The fact that she was so understanding and loving towards us and our relationship made me admire her even more. She was a wonderful person, always giving good advice, making jokes about Chase, then apologizing. She was a 20-year-old woman, trapped in a 40-year-old body. She knew how to have fun, how to relax the atmosphere, she chose the most interesting movies for Sunday evenings, she listened to good music and she understood her children every time, trying to help and support them. Miley and I set up a little program where, every Saturday morning, before we went out, I was teaching her some things in French. She was absolutely adorable trying to be serious in our "classes", while her brother was looking at us curiously.
     Everything was normal at school. Chase and I acted like we were just friends. It was hard to pretend so many hours a day, but it was worth it if we spent the afternoon together. Usually, after school, we would go to my apartment and study together, do our homework and projects, and my favorite moments were when we both sat on the couch on my balcony, Chase sitting comfortably on my chest, while I was reading books out loud. Everything between us was beginning to take shape, everything was happening so fast, but so beautiful that sometimes I was afraid that I might wake up from a dream. I stayed up at night, unable to sleep, and admiring him as he slept. He was adorable and so calm, he was breathing so beautiful, and when he dreamed of something, he always reached out to look for me. For these moments I was living. These and many others, like the way Chase looked at his mother every time she  was telling us something. He adores her, anyone could have figured that out. A few months ago, I would never have thought that I could give up my pathetic routine for someone I had just met. I wouldn't have thought I would feel all this for anyone. I was stuck in my bubble where I didn't feel anything, just a headache after a night with the boys in a bar.

     Chase was starting to get jealous, and that made him even more adorable. Lately, Denise had started talking to me again. Axel broke up with her after he caught her kissing a freshman in college, and since then she's been trying to get under my skin, thinking I was going to take her back. I'm ignoring her every time, but Chase is upset that she doesn't leave me alone. I'm used to it, she always was like this. One afternoon, when Chase and I were at my apartment, my phone vibrated on the kitchen table. Chase was spinning around and I was lying on the sofa in the living room so I asked him to bring me the phone.
- Who is it? I asked him.
- It's Denise, he said, rolling his eyes. I don't understand why she doesn't leave you alone.
- Because she doesn't know I'm with anyone, I said, a little amused by his reaction.
- It's annoying, he said, collapsing on the couch next to me.
     I stood up and placed my head on his lap. I grabbed his hand and started playing with his fingers, smiling.
- I don't want her to ruin things between us, he said, running his fingers through my hair.
- That's not possible, I said. I left her for you, remember?
- You didn't know you wanted to be with me then, he said.
- True, but I didn't want to be with her either, i said. Come on, don't be upset.
     I stretched out and touched his nose lightly with my lips.
- I want to take you to the beach this weekend, I said. At my grandparents' house.
- Okay, he said and smiled at me.
     It was the beginning of the week, but I had been planning this outing for some time. I had been there a few days ago and prepared the house, brought new blankets, filled the cupboards with food and the wardrobe with clothes, respectively some T-shirts and pants.
     On Friday, during a break, as I pulled some books out of my locker, Chase stopped beside me, wondering what I was doing.
- Do you have plans after school? I asked, sure of his answer.
- Yeah... Alexa and I were asked to do a science project for Monday and we kind of decided to go out today to do it, he said. She offered to meet me on Saturday, but I told her I had plans for the weekend. I hope you don't mind.
- No, obviously not, I replied.
    I didn't mind him going out with Alexa, because I knew for sure that he couldn't be attracted to her, but, nevertheless, it seemed to bother me a little...

Chase's perspective:
     I couldn't wait to finish the project with Alexa and get home, where the packaging was waiting for me for the weekend I was going to spend with Bryan at his grandparents' beach house. We met at the place where we usually went out with the boys on Friday night. We sat down at a table and started writing about chemical reactions. After 15 minutes, Alexa had started to get very sticky, putting her hands on my arm and knee. I was uncomfortable, and when she started talking about something other than the project, she kind of started to irritate me.
- You know, Denise thinks she'll work things out with Bryan soon, she said. I think so too, I saw how he looks at her. He still loves her.
- Are you sure? I said.
- Yeah. Denise also told me he's calling her every night, saying he couldn't sleep without hearing her voice.
     This girl was telling the biggest lies in the whole world. I didn't believe anything he said, because it wasn't true. Bryan is falling asleep every time before I do, and when we aren't sleeping together, we are talking on the phone all night.
- We should go out more often. You know, a double date, Alexa said, running her fingernails over my arm. I know you and Chase are good friends.
- How about we continue our project? I said irritated.
- Oh, come on Chase...
    Without being able to stop her, Alexa rushed to my lips, kissing me.
- Oooh, Chase, I heard familiar voices behind me.
     I pushed Alexa away, turned around and saw Danny, Gabriel, Christian and... Bryan. The first three looked on curiously, trying to figure out what was going on, but there was anger and disappointment on Bryan's face.
- I have to go, Bryan said, and ran out the door.
     The other boys didn't even care why Bryan came out of the place when he had just arrived. I got up from the table and quickly started packing my things.
- Good luck finishing the project on your own, I told her and went out the door, as angry as Bryan.
     But when I took to the streets, Bryan's car was nowhere to be seen. I fucked up so bad this time, and it was't even my fault. I took a taxi to his apartment. I wasn't sure he was there, but I had to check. When I arrived, the suspicion that he was not there came true. The apartment was empty. I took another taxi and got home.
- What happened? my mother had asked me after I stormed in through the door.
- I fucked up with Bryan, I said angrily.
- Chase, calm down, take a sit.
    I sat down on a kitchen chair while my mother sat down next to me.
- Tell me what happened, she said.
     I told her what happened locally with Alexa, Bryan's reaction and the fact that he wasn't in his apartment and not answering the phone. There was concern on my mother's face.
- He's extremely upset and I have no idea where he might have gone, I said running my fingers nervously through my hair.
- Didn't he tell you about a place where he's going when he's upset? said my mom, trying to help me.
     At that moment I realised. That's it, he's definitely there!
- Yes! Mom, you're a genius, I said and kissed her on the forehead. Can I borrow your car?
- Sure, just be careful, okay?
- Thank you, mom. I love you.
     I took the car keys and hurried out the door. I knew where I had to go.