The fight

The days went by, and to my surprise, the new student was starting to adjust among us, or so I thought.
     It was a boring and quiet Wednesday in the third week of school. I was waiting for Denise by the girls' bathroom door, looking out the window at the football field. The first match of this year was approaching, and Denise was one of the cheerleaders and the only reason I went to these matches. As I sat and stared out the window, I heard someone screaming from the other side of the hall. As I said, I have a very increased curiosity, so I headed there. As I turned the corner, I saw two boys fighting, a few girls watching from the sidelines, and a group of boys watching, without bothering to separate them. I approached the group, and then I realized that one of the two who was fighting was Chase. I panicked and felt a strange sensation in my stomach, and the impulse made me jump between the two and separate them.
- Stop! Damn it, I shouted.
     I grabbed Chase by the arm and pulled him away from the other boy, who turned out to be Axel. Meanwhile, a few teachers arrived and rushed to see if Axel was okay. I slammed Chase against the wall, holding him by the collar of his shirt, and began to shout angrily at him.
- What were you thinking?
     I got so close to his face that I could feel his breath hitting my face and I could hear his heartbeat. I looked into his eyes.  They were angry and looking after Axel, but they stopped on mine. His breathing had slowed for a few seconds, but then Chase returned to reality.
- Leave me alone! he shouted, pushing me away from him.
     I looked at him. The picture was... different. That quiet boy didn't look the same anymore, looking at me with angry eyes, red wrists, breathing hard and fast.
- Pussy... I heard Axel saying, but the rest of the sentence was scattered.
     I grabbed Chase by the arm and pulled him after me, even though he was struggling to escape my grip. I took him out of the school, without being noticed, put him in the car and start the engine. I didn't know where I was going or why I pulled him with me to the car.
- What happened there? I asked after a while.
- Nothing, said Chase, looking out the window.
- I don't think that was "nothing".
      I should have not been angry, but I was. I didn't understand why. I was squeezing the steering wheel and I could barely refrain from bursting and screaming at the boy I had just pulled out of a fight.
- It was nothing, he said.
- Damn it, Chase. Tell me once what happened! I screamed.
     I stopped the car in a parking lot and opened the window to let some air in. I felt like I was suffocating. I was silent for a few minutes, then said:
- Look, I'm sorry I screamed at you, but I don't understand why you're not telling me what happened.
     I turned to him so I could see his reactions, but he was looking at his hands on his lap. It was obvious that he was tense. After almost a minute of silence, he said:
- Thank you for stepping in to stop us, but I think it's none of your business.
    I was speechless. He was right, I had nothing to do with this. I started the engine and drove back to the city, then asked him:
- Where do you want me to take you?
       He replied that he wanted me to take him home, and so I did. He said nothing when he got out of the car, and I left angry. I think I was stunned that I took him out of the fight and I didn't even know why he was there. I was about to head back to school to pick up my things, but on the way I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It was Denise. Damn it.
- Hello? I said.
- What the hell, Bryan? You leave without telling me and then I'm finding out later that you were involved in a fight? You must have...
But I closed the phone before letting her finish her speech. The phone call made me change my mind, so I went straight up to my apartment.