Miley

The next morning I woke up quite early, so I took advantage of the fact that I could go out to get some air and settle my thoughts. I got out of bed slowly, trying not to wake Chase, I wrapped him in the blanket that had fallen out of bed during the night, kissed him on the forehead, and tiptoed out of the room. I picked up my clothes from the bathroom, where I had left them last night, and dressed in the living room. When I opened the door I was struck by a cold but pleasant air. It was quite late for a sunrise, but the view was beautiful. I headed to the beach and sat on the cold sand, watching the sea, inhaling the cold morning air and thinking about the week I spent with Chase. No girlfriend I had made me feel the way Chase makes me feel. He makes me smile all the time, I think about him all the time, I want to spend all my time with him. Usually, in former relationships, I wanted to spend time with girls only when I had sex, and then I made up excuses not to spend too much time together. It's different now. Now I would have made up an excuse to spend more time with him.
     Suddenly I felt a hand on my right shoulder. I turned my head and saw a sleepy Chase smiling.
- Hey, what are you doing here? I asked as he sat down next to me. Why aren't you sleeping? It's still pretty early.
- I woke up and I didn't feel you next to me. I went out on the balcony and saw you standing here, so I came to see what you were doing. So what are you doing here?
- I wanted to get some air, I said.
- At 7 in the morning?
- Yeah, I smiled at him. Do you want to go for breakfast?
- Let's stay here a little longer, what do you say?
     He put his head on my shoulder, and I wrapped my arm around his waist. It was all about these moments, moments when he made me feel so vulnerable, moments for which I would have given anything. I didn't know exactly what had changed in me since that Friday afternoon, but I knew for sure that I was no longer the same Bryan.
     We had had breakfast in town after leaving the beach, then I took Chase home and said goodbye. There was still a mess in my apartment. I decided to clean it up, I couldn't live in that chaotic style I had lived in those two weeks. The day had passed quickly, and I spent the evening talking to Chase on the phone.
     In the morning I was awakened by the sound of the ringtone, the phone ringing quite close to my ear, because last night I had fallen asleep talking on the phone. Chase's name appeared on the screen.
- Chase? I answered and my sleepy voice filled the room.
- Morning. I woke you up? he said.
- No, don't worry. Did something happen?
- No, nothing. I wanted to invite you for breakfast. Mom went out with Miley so we can have some time alone.
- You know we can be alome as long as we want in my apartment, right? I said a little amused.
- I know that, Bryan, but...
- I'll be there in 15 minutes, okay? I interrupted him.
- Okay.
     I hung up, got out of bed and went into the bathroom to take a shower. After I went out, I pulled on my usual black jeans and a shirt of the same color. In 10 minutes I was knocking on Chase's door, who had lured me inside, closed the door behind me and jumped on my neck, sticking his lips to mine. He was wearing gray sweatpants and a white T-shirt. He led me to the kitchen, where breakfast was waiting for us. After we finished eating, we headed to the living room. I sat down on the couch, and Chase sat down on my lap, saying:
- I missed you.
- I missed you too, I said, kissing him hard on the lips.
    We spent time together in his living room, talking about all sorts of things, as we usually did, until the door opened and Chase's mother and sister entered the house.
- Chase, honey, are you home? I heard his mother say.
- I'm here. Do you need some help? Chase had jumped off the couch.
- It's alright. Oh hi! Bryan, right? she said as I got up from the couch.
- Yes. Nice to see you again, Mrs. Tomson.
- Me too, Bryan. Please, tell me Kristine, she told me with a smile.
- I told you Bryan might come, Chase said.
- Then I'll leave you two alone, she said.
- Actually, we're going upstairs. If you need anything, let me know, okay? Chase said, placing his hand on his mother's shoulder and kissing her briefly on the cheek.
- Have fun, she said, smiling.
     Chase led me up the stairs to his room and closed the door behind us. He pushed me onto the bed and climbed on top of me, attacking my neck with kisses.
- Chase, stop. Someone might hear us, I said, but there was nothing I could do to stop him.
- Come on Bryan, I missed you...
    But he was interrupted by a knock on the door and the voice of a little girl who said:
- Chase, can I come in?
    I glanced at Chase and said, "I told you". He got off me and headed to the door, opening it.
- Hello, Miley said. Mom told me that you invited a friend and I wanted to meet him.
     She was an adorable 9-year-old girl with blond hair and big brown eyes. Chase took her hand and sat on the bed, then took her in his arms and placed her on his lap, saying:
- Miley, he is Bryan. Bryan, she's my little sister, Miley.
- Hi, Miley. Nice to meet you. You're very beautiful, even more beautiful than your brother told me.
    Miley had smiled and blushed at my compliment. She was absolutely adorable, just like her brother.
- I'm glad to meet you, too, she said.
- Chase, can you come here, please? Chase's mother's voice was heard shouting from downstairs.
- I'm coming, he shouted, glancing at me questioningly.
- We'll be fine, I said.
He smiled at me and went out the door.

Chase's perspective:
    I hurried down the stairs into the kitchen.
- Did something happen? I asked.
- I made some snacks, my mother replied, smiling.
- Thank you, mom, I walked over to her and kissed her on the forehead.
     I took the tray of sandwiches and cookies my mother had prepared for us, gave her another smile, and left the kitchen. As I approached my room, I heard Miley laughing. I slowly opened the door of the room and saw my little sister, lying on the bed, with her hands on her belly, laughing with her mouth up to her ears and Bryan, my boyfriend, making all sorts of funny faces and tickling her from time to time.
- Mom made us some snacks, I said. I see you're having fun without me.
- Bryan is very funny, Miley said smiling.
- I know, I said.
    I sat on the floor and watched them continue to play. The next three of us spent the next couple of hours in my room, laughing and talking. Bryan and Miley got along very well and they both looked extremely happy, which made me even happier. About three hours later, Bryan's phone rang.
- What the...? Again? he said. Okay, I'll be there in about 20 minutes.
- Did something happen? I asked him.
- Gabriel fucked up again. I have to go to help the boys. I'm sorry, he said, glaring at me and putting his hand on my shoulder.
- It's okay, I smiled at him. Miley, let's go downstairs. Bryan has to go.
- So fast? she said, rolling her eyes.
- Yeah, Bryan said, leaning toward her. I'm sorry I have to leave so fast, but I'll come more often.
- Do you promise? she said.
- I promise, Bryan said, giving me a smile.
    The three of us went down to the living room, where my mother was working on her laptop. Miley ran to her, sitting on the couch.
- Mom, tu est tres belle, Miley said. It means "You are very beautiful" in French. Bryan taught me.
- Really? Come here, sweetheart, said my mom and hugged Miley.
- Mom, Bryan has to go, I said.
- So fast? I was hoping you could stay for dinner this time, my mother said.
- I'm sorry, but there's an emergency and I need to get there right away, Bryan said. Maybe next time.
- I take it as a promise, said my mother, giving him a smile.
- It is a promise, Bryan said, returning the smile.
- When are you coming again? Miley had asked.
- Soon and I'll teach you how to count in French. What do you say? said Bryan.
- That would be great, Miley said.
      Bryan had said goodbye to my mother and Miley, after which we went out together. We stood in front of the door, looking at each other for a few moments, then Bryan grabbed my cheeks in his palms and kissed me briefly on the lips, saying:
- I'll call you later, okay?
     I nodded in exchange for an answer and waved. He got in the car and left for his friends. I went back into the house and joined my mother in the living room, who was now preparing to watch a movie. Miley was probably upstairs playing with her dolls.
- Bryan is a very nice guy, don't you think? my mother had asked me.
- Yes, I replied.
- You like him?
- What do you think? I asked, glancing at her.
- I think there's a reason you're like that, and I guess it's related to him.
- And does it bother you? I asked, a little nervous by the answer I was about to hear.
- Listen Chase, if he's the reason you're happy and smiling after so many months of barely talking to someone and just sitting in your room on that phone, then I can't be bothered. He's an extremely nice boy, and Miley seems to love him too. If you're happy, I'm happy too.
    She had approached me and hugged tight.
- Thank you, mom, I said, and hugged her tighter.
- Now let's watch "La casa de papel", she said.
    In the evening I sat in my room, guarding the phone and waiting for it to ring. Bryan said he would call me later, but did not specify what time. A few minutes later I heard the phone vibrate on the desk. I picked it up and answered.
- Hey, I heard Bryan say.
- Hey, I said back. What are you doing?
- I just got out of the shower. What are you doing?
- Nothing. How did it go with the boys?  Is everything alright?
- Gabriel got drunk as he usually does and we had to get him out of the bar. After about an hour of trying to persuade him to get up from his chair, I put him in the car and took him home.
I laughed.
- What did you do in my absence? he asked me.
- Nothing interesting. Looks like Miley likes you a lot, I said.
- I like her too.
    We talked on the phone for hours until Bryan fell asleep again.