Creepypasta appearances theory

Ever since various Creepypastas have been written on the internet they've been experiences of people seeing them. Now, one of two things pops into my mind: One, some people want to have attention and lie about it, for no reason. And two, it makes sense why there are more! Hear me out guys, if not for the Creepypasta story, experiences would be taken much more seriously. Because it could form into an actual problem, but if someone goes to the police and says "a Creepypasta named Jeff the killer was outside my house" no one would believe them because they are online horror stories- reports would be seen as pranks by teenagers and such. 

To sum it up, the horror stories give them advantages, because victims would be seen as liars, pranksters, or crazy. Especially since this mostly happens with kids and teens; adults would shrug it off as imaginary or a lie. They have the upper hand, and we can't do anything but sit back and accept it-unless there is a LOT of evidence to prove otherwise.

We're at a great disadvantage, they have no idea what we've been through. We have no place to go, we try to run and hide but they still win. Researchers, we need to find their weak spot, we need evidence!!

-L.V