Special: Halloween One Shot

“Are you sure you aren’t going to the Halloween Party, Kat?” Meyrin asked over the stack over wobbling dishes. “Its going to be so much fun, even us servants got invited, yes we did. You should go with Sebastian.”

Kat smiled and took the stack out of her hands before depositing them in the hot water of the wash tub, “That’s okay, you guys go and have fun. I have too much to do, to catch up on.”

“You cant have that much, Kat.” Meyrin said, drying the dishes Kat finished washing.

“But I am. I have to finish the dishes, the laundry, the upstairs library, dinner, the garden and the last of its harvest, Plutos bath, mph.” A gloved hand covered her mouth, cutting her off. She tilted her head back to see Sebastian’s ruby eyed gaze.

“We do not require your schedule, we get the point that you are busy. Now kindly shut your mouth and work.” With that he released her and went to prepare the lords afternoon snack.

Kat stuck her tongue out at his back, “You cant be a grouch the entire week.”

Sebastian ignored her and continued icing the Earl’s cake.

Timidly Meyrin asked, “Is there anything wrong, between you two?”

“Sourpuss there is mad at me for letting Serina spend the week with her grandparents, he doesn’t like the idea that she is more than, oh….ten minutes away.”

Sebastian stiffened, “Excuse me for being a good parent.

“A good parent knows that the child cant rely on the parent forever.” She shot back, her temper flaring, “They have to learn to be their own person, without the father forever growling at every person who comes within a feet inches of her. For god’s sake her only friends are her cousins! And you don’t even like letting her over there to see them!”

“She’s perfectly safe here.” He muttered under his breath.

Kat dropped the plate she was washing down into the tub, and walking over to Sebastian, she turned him about, “Listen to me, you overgrown idiot, we cant be there for her forever, there will be one day that we might not be able to fight her battles for her. I want her to able to have some modicrum of social skills so she can at least communicate with people!”

Sebastian roared back, “ I at least will be there for her always! Not everyone is a pathetic orphan!”

A shiver of pain went through Kat, his words having struck a chord. Wordlessly she let her hold on her rage drop and she shifted, her panther form hissing and spitting angry. With a rapid swipe of her paw she left three deep scratches across his chest before she turned to run from the kitchen.

Her legs surging beneath her, Kat leapt from the first open window she came to out into the cool crisp fall air, and then into the forest, where the trees provided security.

“Sebastian are out of your mind? ‘ow could you say that to Kat?” Meyrin protested, her hands on her hips.

This is hardly any of your business you little human, “If her feelings were hurt because of what I said, there is a problem. I just said…” , his voice trailed off, as what he had said finally came to home. Had he really called her a pathetic orphan?

Damnit, I shouldn’t have said that… He knew full well that Kat had been abandoned by abusive parents to a death dealt by a group of attacking bandits. Rhose had found her, and taken her in out of pity. The details were something Rhose refused to tell her, but she knew that she was, originally, an unwanted child.

I really shouldn’t have said that.

“Meyrin, can you watch the pot for me? I believe I need to find Kat.” Not waiting for an answer, preoccupied, by his own thoughts, he left the kitchen, and the house and wandered out into the forest. Kat always went to the same place whenever she was upset.