Special: Christmas at The Phantomhive Estate

Kat polished the dark wood of the stairs with fervor, it was almost Christmas and for some reason the other servants were getting more and more excited about it. I don’t know what so special about Christmas, it’s just a day like any other isn’t it?

“Kat would you please run to town and buy these supplies? I’ve been running a bit behind and could get some of those things done while you run the errands.” Sebastian handed Kat a list as he came into the foyer, a tired, exhausted look about him.

He looks rough, “Sure, I can do it, is there anything else?”

Massaging the bridge of his nose Sebastian sighed, “I think the only other thing is to get Miss Elizabeth her Christmas present from the Earl, do you believe you can find something suitable?”

Kat blinked, “Christmas present?”

“Yes, yes, the gifts people give to their ‘dear ones’ on Christmas. Now stop being silly and go, I hate to be short with you but I have no time for this, there is only a week until Christmas and there is much to do.” He shooed her towards the door like an errant sheep, “Now I believe she prefers pink to any other color, and just tell the shops to put everything on the tab, I’m not bothering with giving you pocket money right now.”

There was a loud boom from the kitchen, and Sebastian froze, the fake happy smile he wore when he was upset slid onto his face, “If you will excuse me.” Poor Baldroy, I wish he could learn to cook; it would be helpful as he is the chef.

_______________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________

Now Sebastian said to find something for Lizzie, a Christmas present. What on earth do I get her? Kat stopped in the busy London street and looked at all the brightly decorated shops, full of candles and treats.He said they were gifts to dear ones, so maybe, that means they are gifts we get them because we want to show we care? And if I would want to show Lizzie I cared I would get her…

Kat glanced about her eyes finally lighting on a quaint little shop at the end of the street, with little china dolls smiling at her from the window. I think she would like one of those.

Before she knew it her feet were moving and there was a bell ringing as she opened the door, a wave of ladies perfume hittingher as she entered. There were rows on rows of the fake infants string back at her, dressed in silks and laces. Kat bit her lip, which one? They all looked basically the same to her, so which one would Lizzie like the best?

“Hello, Miss? Would you like a doll?” Kat looked up into the eyes of a round old woman with sparkling brown eyes. “Yes, ma’am I would, it’s for a friend.”

“Ah, I see.” She stepped closer, “Well, come here dearie let’s find a doll your friend will like and if you don’t mind perhaps you could spend a little time with a lonely old woman, share a cup of tea maybe?”

___________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________

Martha sipped her tea quietly Kat had noticed she wasn’t much of a talker, she seemed to be more happy that someone was with her than anything else. “Why do you live by yourself?” As soon as the words left her mouth she wished she could take them back, a pained look fell over Martha’s face.

The older woman must have noticed Kat’s distress over what her words caused, “It’s alright now, don’t worry over it, I suppose it is a bit odd for an old woman to ask a stranger to share a cup of tea, I at least should tell you why. You see my husband died last Summer and my children all live to far away to be bothered with coming to see their old Mother and I don’t bother them, they have their own lives to live.”