Chapter 28: Stuck between a Wall and Something Inhuman

The ground itself seemed to conspire against Kat as she and Pluto plunged through the thick wilderness, searching for any visible sign of the kidnapped parties passing.

Pluto whined as a fallen tree, scraped against his paw as he raced along. Kat had found him in the forest pinned beneath to fallen trees, with the help of Francis and Ren they had managed to free him.

Francis had been livid after that, demanding that he go as well, that he would be able to get her there much faster than any other horse alive. But Kat had refused; Pluto could sniff them out, while Francis could only get her from Point A to Point B. I’m sorry…everyone I’m on my way, please be all right.

_________________________________________________________________

Sebastian hissed in anger as he found the scattered remains of lesser demons cleverly placed along the outside of the mansion to ward off the less than brave members of his species. Also a warning to the humans that the one who dwelled here was not of a hospitable nature.

If he hadn’t been so stupid none of this would have ever happened. I made the contract to protect the Earl no matter what, and to serve him even at the cost of my life all for, in return, his soul. It’s simply ridiculous that I can’t even keep my head on straight long enough to that simple task! He ground his teeth in frustration as the scent of human blood met his nose.

It was Meyrin’s.

A distant howl drew his attention away from the scent. It appeared that the animals that surrounded the mansion were also less than hospitable to those in their territory. He crouched low, waiting for the wolf to show itself.

If it was foolish enough to attack him, especially in his current mood, it more than deserved to die.

Instead a massive white shape vaulted over his head, with a flash of yellow on its back, heading towards the mansion. Kat and Pluto… Hurrying after them Sebastian saw Kat launch herself off of the still moving Pluto’s back, straight through a window on the second floor.

There was a shattering crash as she went through, glass and all, and landed on the other side. With a step off of Pluto’s nose Sebastian launched himself up to the window. A blade flashed in front of his face, stopping inches from his nose.

“That’s not very polite.” He said pushing the blade out of his face. Kat made no comment merely sheathed the katana blade into its sheath on her back.

The butler hurried after her, slightly struck by the emptiness in her eyes. It was the same look she had when she was fighting. She’s serious about this…I suppose I should be as well… He listened intently for any sound as they stalked through the upper hallways, searching the rooms as they went. They discovered several hollow eyed humans, staring blankly at each; very few of them had the presence of mind any more to react to the faint light that entered through the open doors.

Sebastian noticed that Kat left each door open as they went a silent invitation to freedom for those who desired it.

A shrill shriek made them both jump. Without a second glance at one another they raced back down the hall neck and neck towards the source of the sound. At the end of the hall they found a dark mahogany door carved with rich scenes depicting a demon dragging mortals down into the abyss where more demons waited, their wooden eyes clearly portraying their gluttonous hunger.

Even from here Sebastian could sense the demonic power that gathered on the other side of the door, a single glance down at Kat told him that she felt the same thing, even if she couldn’t describe it.