Chapter 23: Visitor

“I would like to ask for admission to this home if you don’t mind.” Rhose smiled pleasantly at the butler, the picture of innocence, all six and a half feet of him. Sebastian had to admire him for that; it wasn’t easy being so innocent looking when he could easily wipe out the whole of London with a single mood swing.

“I believe that it would be in our best interests to allow you admittance.”

Rhose’s smile widened, “I believe it would.”

“Then by all means.” Sebastian stepped out of the way so the apocalyptical demon could enter. “If you are looking for Kat she should be-“

“I’m not looking for Kat at the moment; I’m actually here to see you.” Suddenly a top hat appeared in Rhose’s hand. He handed it to Sebastian, “Hang that up will you? Anyway, as I was saying slugaI have come here to speak to you.”

Serbian? Really? I thought he was Italian... “Whatever would you have to speak with me for?”

Rhose readjusted his gloves, giving Sebastian an unamused look, “I believe that you said something that may…impact my future if you will. I believe that you called my student cute, and I would like an explanation.”
How did he know? “I don’t believe that is any of your business.” Why did I say that? Rhose grinned, twirling a cane; he tapped the end of it against Sebastian’s chest. “Oh, my dear sluga that is where you have it wrong, Kat is like a daughter to me, if you plan on trying to woo her…there may be consequences.”

“I do not plan on wooing her, as you put it.” Why does this feel so odd? Something is not right.

The pressure increased on his chest, “Then why did you say that?”

Sebastian brushed the cane aside, “A slip of the tongue, it was something I did not mean to say.”

Rhose regarded him shrewdly, “So you did not mean it in the least?”

“No, in fact I find her rather…well to put it simply, disgusting as a human. I said she was cute only as I have a certain fondness for cats.”

There was a startled gasp at the back of the entrance hall, the woman from Miss Elizabeth’s parties stood on the stairs, in her white dress from their first meeting. Tears beaded at the corner of her eyes from behind her mask before she rushed back up the stairs and out of his sight.

Where did she come from? A hand gripped his shoulder, “That was a very hurtful thing to say, you low class scum.” There was a flash of pain and the cane imbedded itself in Sebastian’s chest.

Wheezing weakly he fell to the floor, his own blood forming a puddle around him. Why didn’t he sense the attack coming? His vision blurred before everything went black…

___________________________________________________________

“Sebastian! Sebastian, wake up!”

Sebastian swatted away the hand that attempted to shake him awake. It may be a luxury to sleep but he did like to indulge every now and again.

“Come on please wake up.”

The butler slowly opened his eyes, loathing the sight of the sunlight that slithered through his curtains. Kat blinked at him expectantly, and he groaned, “What do you want Kat? It’s my day off mind you, the Earl won’t be needing for a few hours anyway.”

She smiled, “That’s exactly right, I just had a question I needed answering that’s all.”
Sebastian threw his arm over his eyes, wishing fervently that she would take a hint and leave, “And what would that be?”