Rhose's Special: Part 3

A few weeks later…

“Rhose are you sure it’s alright that I come along today? Does Nevaeh know I’m coming?” Kat asked, readjusting the bonnet on Sarina’s downy mop of black hair. She had convinced Sebastian that it would be alright to bring Sarina along on the outing on one condition.

The baby had to be covered at all times; he didn’t want her to get sunburn.

Sometimes I wish he would be a bit more like his stodgy old self, she thought rebelliously, the Sebastian that I knew from the very beginning the one that was arrogant, slightly cold, and fun to tease. She sighed as Sarina settled down to nap in the cradle of Kat’s arms. But then again, him softening up a bit isn’t a bad thing either.

“I’m sure it is fine gattino, I brought a peace offering like you suggested.” He held up a basket near overflowing with bread loaves, apples, cheese, and even a couple chocolate bars. “Do you think this is enough?”

“Are you trying to feed an army?”

He coughed awkwardly and scratched his chin, “Well…that’s not entirely off the mark, eight children…that could be considered an army, couldn’t it?”

Kat laughed, startling Sarina awake. The baby blinked blearily up at her mother, before gurgling her own amusement.

__________________________________________________________

Navie glanced out the window for what seemed like the hundredth time that day, waiting to see the top of the giant’s head emerge from the ring of dense bushes that surrounded the hut’s clearing.

He came daily now, early in the morning before the children even awoke, and helped her to straighten and repair the cottage, and then he would play all day with the children.

It was an unwritten schedule by now that he would arrive just before dawn, which was what was worrying her. It was now much further into the morning, the kids were already up and outside, playing hide and seek in the forest while they waited for their bigger playmate.

A lone wolf’s howl made Navie glance up sharply, that had been close by…a second howl sounded, this time farther away. Navie relaxed and busied herself by sweeping the floor of the hut out.

He may not come today…I shouldn’t be so upset about it…it’s not like I own him or anything. He does have a life outside of us…I’m sure he does. I can’t blame him for not coming one day.

“Where is my forte Madonna?” Rhose’s deep voice carried through the window, bringing Navie out of her solemn reverie. Before she could think she smiled, and called back, “I am here, piccolo uomo.” A joke between the two of them. She had wanted to call him flower boy in Italian, because of his name, and when he wouldn’t teach her she had threatened to call him that in English.

In short, he compromised and taught her, piccolo uomo, which meant little man.

And in return he called her forte Madonna, or fierce woman.

A smile brightening her countenance Navie opened the door, admitting the suns fair golden rays to spill into the room. Rhose bowed, his tall frame doubling over, “Nevaeh, I would like you to meet someone very important to me.”

From behind Rhose stepped a young woman, with long hair like black silk, clear skin, sapphire blue eyes, and a baby with a similar appearance cradled against her chest. A feeling of uncertainty curled in Navie’s stomach. Who was this woman? Rhose’s wife?