Chapter 24: Why A Rhose Should Be Feared

Kat couldn’t believe it, Rhose had finally manages to come to the Phantomhive estate for a visit. A thrill of excitement ran through her at the prospect of showing him her home. A home she fervently hoped he would approve of.

If he didn’t…well that didn’t bare thinking on. She didn’t want to have to choose between her Master, to whom she owed her life, and the friends that she would give her life for.

“Katherine?” Rhose asked, drawing her out of the mire of her thoughts.

“I’m sorry, yes?”

He frowned and looked down at her reprovingly, “First of all, you have broken a rule. Never allow yourself to become unaware of your surroundings, and second of all, what exactly is that white beast behind you?”

“This is Pluto; he’s a demon hound the Young Master took in.” She reached up to pat the monstrous dog on the nose as he cowered behind her. He must have come up behind me while I was thinking. How long was I standing there like a fool?

Rhose reached over her shoulder to fondle the dog’s ear, earning a whine of pleasure from the canine. “I see your Young Master has good taste in pets, this fellow will be loyal for as long as you treat him right.”

Kat beamed, “I think he would be proud to hear you say that.”

“Maybe,” he conceded, “Kat shall we continue with the tour? I believe we were going to visit the garden?”

“Yes, of course.” He offered her his arm and she took it pointing out the various plant and wild life that called the Phantomhive garden home. From the robin family that roosted above the kitchen window to the specially bred red roses that twined around the sills of the parlor window.

Her Master took everything in quietly asking little to any questions, and those only about the estate security. She had to stifle a very uncharacteristic giggle at that, only he would be surrounded by such splendor and wonder over how no one managed to invade and take over.

He should know better, as if I or Sebastian wouldn’t be enough to turn back an invasion? Not to mention I’m quite sure the other servants are capable as well. There’s no way Sebastian would tolerate their idiocy otherwise.

“I believe that you have found a good place to stay Gattino, for all appearances it is a safe and comfortable place.” With a small groan he sat down on the stone bench on the Northern side of the Garden. “I’m not as young as I used to be it seems. Here, come sit.” He patted the area beside him.

A warm feeling went through her at the sound of her childhood nick name; she still remembered the first time he had called her that. It had been just after he took her in. He had looked down at her, all fierceness and glaring and said, “What’s your name?”

“Katherine.” She had replied, only to be met with a laugh.

“Such a grand name for such a little kitten. “ She had glared at him, earning an even louder bout of guffaws, he had then patted her head, still chuckling, “Then I believe we have found you a good nickname, you may call me Rhose.”

Those were the days…she sighed mentally. Sometimes she wished she was a kid again, no responsibilities, no problems at all.

“Katherine? Has something happened in the time in which I last saw you? That Butler seemed very…tentative of spending time alone with me.”

“Um….well….you see there was this fight, and I well…got bit by something.”

“Bit?” His eyebrow shut up in question. “And has this bite had any…side effects?”