Chapter 17: The Dark Presence

Sebastian efficiently and quickly dragged the small boat ashore his every sense attune and on edge, so this is what Kat feels on this island. He picked up the food bundles, quietly following the Earl back to his ‘room’.

With every step he took the air seemed to grow thicker and more intense, what on earth was here? It seemed to be strongest around the bridge.

About ready to tell the Earl to wait the sound of soft laughter reached his ears. What on earth? Was that Kat?

“I wonder who that could be?” Ciel commented softly before hurrying towards the sound, not running, but walking very quickly.

Sebastian hurried after him, the food a hindrance in his arms, “My lord, please….wait…”

They were back at the foot of the bridge, Kat stood with her back to them, embracing a tall stranger, who embraced her back. Noticing them the stranger pushed her back. “Gattino, you have friends to introduce me to.” He spoke with a deep, rich Italian accent. He stood probably close to seven and quarter feet tall, with deep mahogany hair in a single loose braid that draped over his chest. He had a smile on his face and lines by his eyes that said he smiled often, but emanated a power that said he could slaughter you just as easily as he smiled.

Kat beamed, “Yes, of course. Sebastian, My Lord, this is my master.”

“I must say you are not what I expected, when I heard your name was Rhose, I was expecting…” Ciel said, his tone bored.

My lord…why….never mind…

Rhose smiled, his deep brown eyes sparkling, “You were expecting someone…more….delicate, feminine, if you will. But no matter it is not the first time I have heard this and it will not be the last. Do not think of it.” He blinked up at Sebastian, “And you must be Sebastian, if my student’s introductions are true.” He held his hand for Sebastian to shake, “It is a pleasure to meet you.”

Sebastian took it and only narrowly avoided hissing in pain when a fissure of power flowed through his arm. He snatched his hand back, “It is a pleasure to meet you as well.” He is definitely not human.

Rhose merely smiled at him, “Gattino, I believe your friends are tired, perhaps you could finish practice tomorrow and prepare them something to eat, yes? They have brought you more than enough ingredients for a meal.” He gestured to the stack of food at Sebastian’s feet.

“Do not worry about it, I can take care of it.” I don’t like him….there is something about him I just don’t like.

______________________________________________________________________

“So then after she hits the side of the barn, she turns, like this,” Rhose made a circular motion, “And slid under the fence. She would have been fine if she would have remembered to duck. As it was I had to pay an irate farmer for damage done to his fence.”

Sebastian didn’t say a word, he had been stonily silent throughout supper, answering only to the most direct questions, and now he was alone with the…man that put him so on edge right across from him, on the other side of the dancing fire. Ciel had gone to bed and Kat had gone to find some fresh water to scrub the dinner dishes with.

Rhose chuckled, “I realize what you are you know, you are a strong demon, yes?”

I thought so…”That’s what I prefer to think. What about you? I know you aren’t human.”

White teeth flashed in a wolfish smile and for a moment it appeared that Rhose’s eyes were entirely blood red, the next instant though they were back to their normal brown. “I am no human that is true, I am more like you, but on a different level.”