Chapter 11:A reason for Tears

How could I be so pathetic to cry like that? It was stupid of me, letting what that idiot say influence my feeling for god’s sake I’m supposed to be an assassin, I shouldn’t cry like a child. Kat angrily polished the surface of the table, trying to force out some of her irritation through rigorous activity, she had been a whirlwind in the house the past few days, cleaning everything in sight. And I haven’t talked to him since then, I bet he thinks I’m pathetic too. She paused in her fanatic cleaning, while it was true she was irritated with herself she was also…she couldn’t quite understand it or put into words.

But she felt…something like…sadness. True he had defended her to Will, and that helped with the sadness for some reason, but it still hurt for another reason. It seemed his words about her character were not enough to remedy the situation.

Sebastian himself  had been noticeably absent from her presence since he had found her like that. He must not want to associate with someone like me; I can’t blame him, if Mother wouldn’t want to be around someone like me why would he? Why do I care anyway? I shouldn’t at all, he’s just another guy, true I did think he was my friend but I have no right to monopolize him.

She shook herself mentally; she wasn’t doing anyone any good to think about things like that, she was here to work, nothing more, nothing less. If I want to evaluate things then I will do it in my free time, not during work time. She returned her focus to the table; if she finished this quickly she could probably make lunch.

“Kat! Kat, there’s someone ‘ere to see you!” Meyrin burst into the room in a rustle of skirts slightly breathless.

Kat blinked at her in surprise, “What?”

“There’s…someone…’ere to see…you.” The maid drew in ragged breathes in between words.

Who on Earth could it be? Curious Kat pocketed her polishing rag and made her way to the receiving hall, stopping dead in her tracks on the stairs. “What are you doing here?” She demanded, trying to keep the coldness from her tone.

Will readjusted his glasses before holding out a bouquet of flowers, white lilies and ferns, “I unknowingly insulted you the other night and wanted to apologize for my behavior. If it is possible I would also like to take you out to dinner.”

What? “I thought you didn’t like the Phantomhive and those that work for them.”

He shifted nervously, “It is true I do not hold them in high regard, but…you seem….different from the others. I meant no disrespect to you when I was speaking with that-”

“A little far out of your way, aren’t we, Reaper?” Sebastian’s cold voice drifted down from the top of the stairs. His eyes never left the other man as he made his way down the swooping staircase, “I had heard that you stopped in here for a visit but I couldn’t believe it. Why the surprise?”

“I came to apologize to the lady.”

Sebastian laughed, “She is no lady, idiot. She is an assassin, a cold blooded killer, who would kill without hesitation a-” SMACK! The sound of a hand striking flesh reverberated throughout the room; it took Kat a moment to realize that she was the reason for it. The butler just stared at her in surprise. “Kat?”

Her hands shook so badly, how could he lie like that? I thought I was supposed to be haunted by the things I had done. Without another word she made to leave, when Sebastian seized her elbow she turned on him with a snarl, “Don’t touch me! I’m so Blood thirsty remember, I might hurt someone!”

“Kat listen that not what I meant.”

“Oh really? Then what did you mean? I would love to know what extent you’ll change things to this time, according to you I can apparently hate what I am and be bloodthirsty at the same time so please go on, tell me what I am now.”