O n E

"This is beginning to get annoying," I groaned, throwing the bills across the table to my mother

"This is beginning to get annoying," I groaned, throwing the bills across the table to my mother. She sighed, exhausted with her cup of tea in her hand that she casually accepted sips from. She was a tired woman, she looked sad all the time and she rarely smiles anymore. She looks broken with the dark eyes and pale skin, not to mention how dull her appearance looks sometimes. I guess that's how life is sometimes right? I do everything I have to do and everything she tells me to do. I live for her, I try to be her source of happiness.

Trying not to be a burden to her all my life was hard work because I had the urges of a normal teenager. I guess I skipped my immature stage right after my father died at twelve years old, leaving my mother (his mate) in a slump.

"I know but we get them paid right?" She showed me a small smile. I nod once, she was right. Even if we don't have enough money, I push extra hours at the castle to get them done. Working at the werewolf castle these past five years haven't been easy. They think I'm human and therefore I'm the lowest of them all.

The werewolf castle was a crazy place for a human to be in. They treated me like the gum under their shoe and I guess that's exactly what I was. No, the older ones are fine. They're kind and sweet. Sure some of them throw me nasty stares but the ones that are set out to destroy my world, they do exactly that.

"So the King is returning today," my mother said, stirring her tea. "Really?" I asked, shocked. The werewolf king had to be twenty by now. I never knew what actually happened since my mother doesn't like to talk about it but for some reason, the son of King Carter and Queen Everly were taken away for protection. That's all I know and it happened five years ago so the topic was a dry talk by now. The royal beta, Winston, took control over the entire kingdom. He played the role of the king and beta while the kingdom waited for the prince, now king, to come out of hiding.

"That's great, I guess," I mumbled, not knowing how to reply to that since the king had absolutely no effect on me. "It is, I was friends with his mother, you know," my mother frowned as she took another sip. I assumed she knew the real reason how the royal two died. It was probably traumatic since she hated speaking about it. "Right," I nodded, remembering. "We used to say that if we had two girls or boys they would be best friends or if we ended up with different genders then they'll be mates," she smiled widely at the memory of her best friend.

I smile sadly, wanting to say something rude since I'm a vampire but I held myself back. "That's cute," I say truthfully. It was the kind of thing best friends say about their children after all.

Her eyes snapped to mine, remembering that I was here and falling back into reality. Her smile falls and her eyes hid all the love and joy to their sad ones. "Well, shit happens," she sarcastically smiled.

Indeed, mother.

"I'm gonna get to work," I say, pulling myself off the chair and grabbing my coat all while my mother said nothing. She only mumbled a simple," bye," as I shut the door. I don't know what would make her happy. Mates scares me because when the other die, it's like part of the other died with them. That's exactly what happened. When my mother watched my father's coffin lower into the ground, she didn't cry. It was like her eyes reached a point that they weren't capable of crying. When the coffin was buried and my father was officially gone, he took part of my mother with him.

Even five years later, she wasn't the same. She would be happy and she would actually smile. For a moment she would forget and the second the happy moment sunk in, she would break all over again. I hated it. Which is why I spent more hours at the castle because it was a win-win. I don't remind my mother of my father and I get more money.

"Good morning, Oceania," the guard smiles at me as he opened the entrance of the castle for me. "Good morning, Blake. How are you?" I asked. "Amazing, the king is back," he grinned happily. I guess the king had an effect on all of his subjects. "That is great, is he at the castle today?" I questioned. If he was that would be terrible because the castle wasn't picture perfect for its king to be home. "Tomorrow, actually. Today is full cleansing so good luck," he grinned. I rolled my eyes playfully, that's a relief. We said our goodbyes before I stepped into the doors of hell.