Chapter Sixteen -- How Did You Get Here?

Megan's POV

I let my long lock of hair unravel from the curling wand in my hand slowly, leaving a perfectly curled spiral curl. I ran my fingers through the soft curls, giving it a full luscious look.

My lightly done smokey eye was without a flaw as MAC's Ruby Woo, a deep red lipstick, covered my full lips.

A black figure hugging peplum dress showed off my thin curves while a simple Christian Louboutin black leather pump graced my feet.

I look good, but why don't I feel good? The hangover I had has given me hell half of the day and Chloe has been bugging the shit out of me about going to a teenage party this weekend. Life of a teenager's mom.

The sound of the doorbell at my front door ringed throughout the entire house. I sprayed a few mists of Chanel No. 5 on my wrist before checking the Michael Kors watch laying on my bathroom's marble counter.

He's on time.

"Chloe, answer the door, it's Gerald!" I yelled out to my daughter as I checked myself out in the full length mirror.

I really hope everything goes smooth with our date tonight. No crazy paparazzi or fans constantly wanting autographs. I just want to go out with my man, have a couple of drinks, and go home. Is that too much to ask?

I spruced up my hair one more time before retrieving my diamond studded clutch from the counter. I know Chloe is downstairs talking Gerald's ear off, so I quickly took the stairs two by two to save him.

"Grandmother? I'm sorry, you must have the wrong house M'am," I heard Chloe say politely.

I stopped in my tracks. My heart seemed to leap into my throat as it beat out of control.

Chloe kept talking as I finally began to continue walking downstairs. "No, she never told me about a woman name Celeste. Are you sure you're talking about my mom Megan Banks?"

"I'm positive," I heard my mother say as I got closer.

Chloe looked over her shoulder at me before stepping to the side so I can see the woman who decided to come to my house without an invitation.

"Mom, who is she? She says she's my grandmother, but that can't be true, right?"

Chloe's words went through one ear out of the other as I took in the woman who had given me life twenty eight years ago.

Her skin, once healthy and flawless, now was slightly wrinkled; her body too thin for comfort. Her hair was still long, but now dark brown and surprisingly looked healthy and her face had a few wrinkles too and crow's feet. The scar I remember her having when I was a child still rested from her forehead to the middle of her eyes, except it was more faded.

"Don't... don't look at me like that, Megan," she stumbled over her words as she turned her head in shame.

"I'm sorry," I told her genuinely. "Mom... you... you used to be so... beautiful. Even with the scar. I... I just don't--"

"Are you going to let me in or not?" she rudely interrupted.

I moved aside. "Yeah, yeah I'm sorry." Why do I keep apologizing? She's the one who should be sorry. Not me!

"So, she is your mom?" Chloe whispered as she was stepping into our home.

"Go upstairs, sweetie," I told her as I began shutting the door. "I'll be up soon."

Chloe looked from her grandmother to me. "But--"

"No buts. Upstairs. Now."

She huffed out defeated a sigh before doing as she was told.

Once she was out of sight, Celeste spoke up. "Seems like you're a good mom."

"Yeah, I want my daughter to have everything I never did," I said coldly before striding towards the living room.

She followed. "Megan, I'm--

My hand shot up. "Save it. How did you find me here?"

She put her hands inside her baggy grey sweatpants' pockets. "Ethic told me." I rolled my eyes. "He was hesitant at first, but he eventually gave in. He said you wanted to meet me as much as I wanted to meet you," she added.

I felt my eyes become misty as I quickly switched them away from her sad eyes. Why did she have to come and ruin my night?

My mom stepped closer to me. "Megan, I'm sorry. You were young, you don't know what really happened--"

DING! DONG!

I blew out a frustrated sigh. "I think you should leave," I told her before going to answer the door.

I've been waiting on her for twenty-one years, she can wait on me for another day.

"Hey, Gerald," I greeted once I opened the door.

His lustful eyes scanned my body from head to toe before they finally noticed my heavy eyes. "Are you okay?" He flashed a small smile. "You look great, by the way."

I forced a smile. "Thanks, you don't look too bad your self."

He held out the bouquet of red roses. "These are for you. Cliché, I know, but I wanted to make this night"-- Gerald's words came to a stop and his eyes roamed from mine to something distracting him behind me --"Megan, who's that?" he asked.

I covered my face with my hands as I sighed in frustration."My mom," I told him without having to look back.

Before I knew it, Gerald basically moved me to the side and went into my home going straight to my mother.

He stuck out his hand politely as she smiled girlishly. "Hi, Ms. Banks, I'm Gerald, Megan's boyfriend. It's so good to finally meet you."

She shook his hand while throwing a devilish smile at me. "Likewise, honey."