Chapter Fifteen -- Better Late Than Never

Kaila's POV

PART 2

"What the hell am I suppose to do with this?" I asked while holding up a paper thin white T-shirt that I know that's see-through and jeans that looked like they was suppose to fit Barney.

"M'am these are provided by the state. It's either this"-- the Correctional Officer pointed to my old wedding dress -- "or that."

"Now you know damn well--"

"Momma!"

I turned around to the sudden voice that cut me off.

A handsome young man with a flawless caramel complexion, low haircut, and nice build stood at the entrance of the room me and the CO was in.

"Erik?" I wanted to be sure.

The man's face lit up into a smile, putting his pearly whites on full display. He opened his arms and nodding his head.

"It's me, Momma."

I dropped the sheets, I mean clothes, and went into my son's opened arms with fresh tears in my eyes.

My world seemed to appear more colorful, brighter, beautiful as I embraced my son. I haven't seen him since the day I rode away in the back of a police's car.

The pictures he's sent me over the years doesn't do him any justice. Damn, I made a heart breaker.

"I missed you, Momma. I've been waiting on this day for too many years," he said as we came out of our embrace.

"I know, baby. I'm sorry for putting you through so much," I told him as water began to rain from my eyes. "I know I won't qualify for Best Mom of the Year, but I do love you, Erik. Don't ever think I didn't. "

Erik kept the smile on his face. "I know, Momma."

Many years ago when Ethic and I both touched down back in the U.S. from Jamaica, there was only one place I wanted to go.

No, it wasn't my favorite restaurant or mall, it was my father's house.

I was told, while we were away, him and Octavia kept a close eye on him.

I immediately dropped my bags at the door and went over to my one and only son standing next to my father.

I got on my knees and took Erik's small hand in mine before he angrily snatched it away.

"Erik," my daddy chastised him.

I held up my hand. "No, it's okay, Daddy."

I then starred into Erik's angry little face. He always had a bad temper, and since I been gone, it looks like it only got worst.

"I know you're mad at Mommy for leaving you, but it was best for the both of us baby. You probably don't understand this right now, but you will as you grow older." I took his hand again; he let me.

"Did you miss Mommy?" I asked him emotionally.

Erik's head nodded before he put his skinny arms around my neck. "Don't ever leave again, Momma."

Happy tears ran down my cheeks as my face broke into a smile. "I won't, baby," I promised.

I promise I didn't keep, I was arrested a year later.

"MITCHELL!" the guard behind me called out, snapping me out of my flashback.

I turned around.

"Sorry to interrupt your little reunion," she said sarcastically before holding up the clothes I dropped on the floor and my dress. "You still need to make a choice."

I went over and took the citizen clothes, since I knew I couldn't get a leg in my wedding dress.

"Nice choice," the guard snickered.

I can't seem to get out of here fast enough.

****

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong or not?" I asked my son out of the blue. We've been riding for more than forty five minutes now in complete silence and I couldn't take it anymore. Twenty years away or not, I know my son.

Erik's dark brown eyes switched from the road to me. "What are you talking about? Nothing's wrong, Momma," he said with a forced smile.

I shook my head in shame. "I haven't been back for twenty four hours yet and you already lying to me."

He laughed nervously. "I'm good, Ma. Foreal."

He turned the knob to the volume of his radio up, drowning the silence that filled the car.

I adjusted my body in the seat, suddenly feeling incompatible. I know something's wrong; I can feel it.

I reached out to the radio in between us, turning down the loud music. "Is it that girl you with? What's her name? Oxygen?"

Erik let out a annoyed sigh. "No, Momma it's not her, and her name is Oshyn. "

I shrugged. "Hell, sound the same to me. Is it your Daddy? Or is it Celeste? I haven't heard from that bit--"

"Look! I said it's nothing wrong, aight? So can you just drop it," Erik semi yelled.

Moments later, I smirked before looking at him side ways. "So, it is Celeste..."

"....And Megan," he huffed.

"Megan? What's Megan got--"

"Megan wants to meet Celeste," Erik answered before I could get it out.

"Well, that's nothing new."

Erik sharply inhaled before exhaling. "Celeste wants to meet Megan."

Over the years, Erik has told me how close him and Megan have become, and even in the letters I can tell that he's very protective over her.

"Okay? What's wrong with that? As much as you hate it, they're mother and daughter, Erik. There's nothing we can do to stop that. Megan's a grown ass woman, if she wants to meet her mom, I support her, and you should too," I told him in my motherly tone.

"I know I should, but I don't. Celeste's just doing this 'cause she's on her death bed and probably need Megan's money for surgery or some shit like--"

"Watch your mouth," I quickly scolded him.

Erik sighed. "All I'm saying is, I don't feel right about the situation," he finished.

"Does your father know about this?"

Erik told me he did before he got deeper into the conversation. He told me how he told Megan that her and her mother basically ruined our family and now Megan and him is no longer talking.

I mentally sighed. This was too much to take in at one time. I knew Erik felt this way at first, but by the way he talked about his sister in the letters, it seemed as if he gotten over it. Now I see that he's been holding it in for far too long.

"Erik, don't think I think your crazy when I tell you this, but you need counselling," I told him seriously.

"Ma, there's nothing wrong with--"

"It is," I cut him off. "You having this built up anger in you for all of these years is killing you. That's why you... that's why you hurt people. I wish I was there to help you through this then, but I'm here now. Better late than never."