Chapter Thirty-Six -- Brothers Like You

Megan's POV

When Erik called me out of bed in the middle of the night to meet him, my last guess would've been a hospital. Panic immediately filled my veins and I didn't think twice when I hopped into my car and sped all the way there.

Even though his voice was calm, I still expected the worst.

Steering my vehicle into the first empty parking space I spotted, I wasted no time getting out and running into the hospital like I was going to save a life. Who knows? Maybe I was.

I went into the waiting area in search of my brother or somebody in our too-small family which only included Daddy, Kaila, Octavia, and Kai. My eyes roamed the room of a sleeping Hispanic couple and a middle aged white woman with a sleeping baby in her arms. Frustrated, I turned around to check another room, but when I did, I bumped into someone.

"Megan," Erik said, holding me by my arms so I wouldn't lose balance. His eyes are bloodshot red and his face is drained like he hasn't slept in ages. "Still clumbsy as ever," he joked dryly.

I ignored him. "Erik, what's going on? Where's Kaila? Where's Daddy?"

Erik moved to the side so an elderly woman could come inside the room. "At home, I hope. You didn't call them, did you?"

I shook my head, a little confused. If it's not them, then who's here? "No, I didn't call them. Why, what's going on?" I repeated.

He blew out a frustrated sigh before going to one of the many hard plastic chairs. I sat next to him. "Where do I began?" he mumbled, rubbing a hand over his face.

"From the beginning," I told him softly. What ever is going on, I got a strong feeling it's not good. At all.

Erik sighed again before speaking, "Grandpa died earlier tonight."

Water instantly filled my eyes and the strings of my heart began to pull like no tomorrow. I wasn't very close to Kai like my brother had been, but I still loved him and vice versa. Our family is getting cut shorter every few years. "I'm sorry...," I choked out.

Erik dropped his gaze to his lap. "We all are," he said sadly.

I reached over and rubbed his back in soothing circles, trying to control my emotions.

He sat up suddenly, and let out another sigh. "But that's not even the half of it," he voiced quietly. So quiet, I barely heard him. "Oshyn's dead, Megan."

"What?" I strained to hear.

"I said, Oshyn is dead. She put a gun to her head and killed herself," he said loudly, so loud he turned a few heads in the room.

"No..." I gasped, covering my mouth with my hand, no longer strong enough to control my tears.

"Yeah...," Erik quieted down, "all because she wanted to make it big. I tried to give her everything, you know? We wasn't living in a mansion, but whatever she wanted, she got. No matter how much it was, I never told her no. She wasn't a celebrity, but she was close to living like one." His voice broke, and a few stray tears left his eyes. "I guess it was never enough, I was never enough."

It was then when I realized just how much my brother loved that girl. He would've given her the world.

"She shot Karly," he continued, "Something told me not to bring her home, but she was so tired and I didn't want to wake her. The doctors said she may not make it. If I would've took her back to her apartment, none of this would've happened."

By this point my brother's stray tears became a running faucet and all of my questions were answered.

I reached over and hugged him as he let all of his guilt on to my shoulder. I've never seen my brother shed tears, not even while we were growing up. I was always the cry baby and he was always there to wipe my tears, telling me everything was going to be okay. He was always the strong one.

I rubbed his back again, almost feeling his pain. This is a lot for anyone to take and I can't even imagine what he's going through.

"It's not your fault. You hear me? It is not your fault, so I don't want you to blame yourself for Oshyn's wrong doings. You had no idea she was going to shoot her," I told him in tears.

"Karly is going to be okay, prayer changes things."

I know Erik isn't very religious and neither am I, but I believe there is a God and I try to make it my business to pray every day.

Erik sat up and looked me in my eyes. "How can I ask God for anything being the type of man I am, Megan?" his voice was filled with pain and all out of hope.

I put my hand on the side of his face gently, blinking away water in my eyes so I can see clearly. "Because He loves all of us, big brother, even people like you."

_________

A / N :

Sorry if you're not religious... everyone has their own beliefs.

But me as a person put my trust in God and choose to enforce Him in this part of my story because I do believe. (Not to mention it's Sundaaaaay)

I don't judge anyone, so as I've said before sorry if that little ending offended anyone.

Now that's said...

Thanks for reading! And as always comments and votes are always welcomed. :-)