Chapter Thirty-Seven -- Engraved In My Heart

Kaila's POV (one week later)

The calm feeling of peace overtakes my mind and soul as my feet walks across the crystal white sand. The sound of water crashing onto the shore in flattened waves is like music to my ears and with the sun setting in a far away distance, I feel like I've just taken a fresh breath of air.

This must be what heaven feels like.

Being here, it's almost hard for me to believe I'm living in a world of viloence, hate, and cruelity. In a world where innocent people are killed in a movie theater and kindergarderners are shot down in school like animals. In a world where babies are having babies and children are growing up too damn fast.

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing their self first. Like Micheal Jackson, I'm starting with the man (in my case, woman) in the mirror. If everyone took a head start there, maybe, just maybe, the world will be a better place.

Maybe my dad would've been a better person, living life the right way with a nine-to-five job. Maybe he would be here right now. Maybe Momma, Grandpa, and Grandma will be too.

I breathed out a long sigh before opening the lid of the slightly heavy, crystal jar in my hand as I stood on the beach's shore.

I let my fingers roam around the fancy pattern covering the jar. "I guess this is it, Daddy," I said, looking out into the never ending water. "You know I didn't agree with this, but I knew this is what you wanted."

A light breeze kissed my face as soon as a few stray tears left my eyes.

The sudden wind dried my tears and I smiled a little at the thought of Grandma's voice saying, "When ever a light wind blows in your face, angels are kissing you."

"I love you," I whispered as I finally turned the jar upside down.

Another breeze came and my father's remains began to drift away with the wind.

He's finally free.

Free from the prison bars, the game that seemed to have a hold on him, free from the messed up world, from the pain and the worries, free from his family - free from me.

I blow another breath and began walking off shore, letting my impressions mark in the sand.

"You okay?" Ethic asked when I made it to him. He was a few distances away from shore, giving me some time alone.

I nodded, "Yeah."

He put his arm around my shoulder, pulling me close, as we began to walk to the car.

When we was almost there, I stopped him. "Thank you, Ethic," I told him, looking up at his handsome face.

I don't know how I would've got through last week without him. I'm truly grateful for this man in front of me.

He smiled, flashing those dimples that still made my heart skip a beat. He closed the space in between us and put his hand on the side of my face, the same way he used to do when we were teenagers. "You love me?"

I rolled my eyes, ready to knock him upside his head for letting a stupid question like that leave his lips. "You know--"

He shook his head, "Answer the question."

I sighed, feeling defeated. "Yes," I confessed.

"I'm going to always be here for you, Kaila. There's no need to thank me for something like that. I love you 'cause you love me and even if you stopped, I still will. I got you, baby."

"For life?" I asked, feeling like a young girl all over again. Ethic just made me feel that way.

"Eternity, baby," he said, seriousness written all over his face.

I stood on my toes and kissed my man like my life depended on it. There's no way in hell I'm ever leaving him again.

*****

"What you thinking about?" Ethic asked me. We seem to talk more now in the middle of the night than day.

"Erik's friend, Karly... you remember her don't you?" I asked.

"How can I not? She's all you used to talk about," Ethic said jokingly.

I can't deny the truth.

"What about her though?" he adds.

I shrug as I snuggle closer to Ethic's side. "I don't know... I just feel so bad, you know? She don't deserve to be in that coma and the doctors don't know how long it will be until she wakes up."

"Yeah," Ethic agreed, "Erik's taking it bad too. You seen how that boy was looking the other day?"

It's true. Every since Karly's been in that coma, our son hasn't been the same since. He's always down, and looking like his favorite puppy got ran over by an ice cream truck.

Two days ago his face was covered in stumble, his hair was in a bad need of a hair cut, and his clothes were in a bad need of the nearest washing machine. I hate to admit it, but he's falling off.

"Yeah," I answered Ethic, "he IS taking this rough. I just hope the girl makes it, for her and our son's sake."

"He'll be fine, baby. The boy had two of his women taken away in one night. I feel for him."

I rolled my eyes at the mention of Oshyn's dumb ass. If it wasn't for her, Erik wouldn't even be the way he is now. Why she couldn't just keep the gun aimed at her own brainless head?

Ethic must've sensed my attitude because he kissed my forehead. "Ahh, don't be like that now. Hate it or love it, Erik loved that girl. Besides, Oshyn wasn't so bad to me."

"Yeah, well she was to me. Erik told me how she cheated on him too. Lil bitch was always a snake in my eyes," I said, feeling my pressure build up.

Ethic blew a sigh at my little rant before reaching over and pulling the lamp's light switch off.

"This conversation isn't over," I told him with a tad bit of attitude.

He kissed my cheek, "Love you," he said before turning his back to me in bed.

I sat up and pushed his arm. "Ethic!"

Nothing...

I pushed his back. "Don't ignore me," I told him.

Nothing...

I crossed my arms in front of me. "Ethic, I know you hear me."

Not even seconds later, snoring rung out in the room and I wanted to slap the back of his big head.

I roughly got back under the covers, snatching a little from his side. "Old man," I mumbled, before turning my back to him.

"Old woman," he spoken back in a grin.