Chapter Thirty-Two -- I'll Be There For You

Erik's POV

We made it to my parent's house in fifteen minutes flat without getting a ticket or being pulled over. I was in a rage, and thankful that Karly didn't question me about where we were going. If it wasn't for my momma's frantic phone call we probably would've did something we both would regret later on.

Don't get me wrong, I would've loved to have sex with Karly, but I want more than that, something deeper. I want us to make love, when I have her, I want her to be mine and only mine and I got a feeling her and ol' dude from prison still together.

I went into my parent's house with my keys with Karly behind me. As soon as I stepped foot into the house, I heard Momma's loud, heart-wrenching cries and Dad's voice trying to console her. Kai's death is going to kill her.

I sat down on the couch, patiently waiting for something - anything. I can't stand to go back there and see my mom so torn up. Grandpa was the only one she had left, and I can't even imagine how she feels.

Then I thought about Octavia, who was still holding it down for the old G even after so many years. I haven't been to see her in a while, but I know she's taking it hard too.

Anybody that knew Kai, the real Kai, knew that he was a good man. I'm not saying he was a saint, 'cause everybody knew he was far from that, but he had a good heart. He was more like another father than a grandfather to me. It's hard for me to believe he's gone.

I didn't know I was shedding tears until I felt a gentle, feminine, hand rub on my back. "I'm not going to say it's okay when I know it's not. I always hated when people said that like they knew what I was going through when in reality they had no idea. I never met your grandfather, but if he's your mama's father, I knew he was something else," Karly said, softly.

I laughed a little, thinking about the comparison in Momma and Grandpa. "Yeah... he was," I sniffed before wiping my face, "I'ma miss him."

I saw her nod her head from the corner of my eye before she reached over and hugged me, her head resting on my shoulder and for the first time, I was happy she was here with me.

She left me to my thoughts as the house grew quiet. My momma's cries had stopped and the only thing that could be heard was the occasionally wheeze of cars zooming down the street outside.

Hour after hour crept by before my dad came out to the living room. He looked stressed but more tired than anything.

"I didn't know you were here," he said, eyeing me and a sleeping Karly whose head rested peacefully on my lap.

"She's not taking it too bad, is she?" I asked, referring to Momma. She's only getting older, and I worried about her.

Pops sat down and rubbed his hands over his face in frustration. "Man, you already know she is. She loved Kai more than anything in the world," he said, "it's crazy 'cause just the other night she was telling me how much she missed him, now that he's dead... aw man."

I shook my head, feeling sad for my momma as he continued.

"Kai was always stubborn as hell. They told him to stop smoking a long time ago, but you know how he is. Come to find out, he's had chronic bronchitis for some time now."

The last time I saw him, he was smoking a cigarette.

"I thought you stopped smoking," I had asked him.

"I did for a day or two," his exact words replayed in my head, "we all got to die someday. If I die from this fucked up lung, I'm sure it won't be from these tiny cigarettes. I've been smoking for many years, son."

He was finally wrong about something, who would've ever known The Great Kai would've killed himself with smoking. It's funny how shit in life turns out.

Karly began to stir in her sleep. I rubbed her back soothingly until she was peacefully sleeping again.

Pops noticed and got up to get her a blanket until I stopped him. "We're about to leave. I'll be back tomorrow to check on Momma."

He prepared to walk us out as I picked Karly up from the couch bridal style. She snuggled closer to my chest, mumbling something in her sleep.

"Aight, man. I'll tell her you both stopped by. Be careful, son."

"As always," I said over my shoulder as I put Karly in the car.