Chapter Forty-Five -- W.A.R

Chloe's POV

My back rested on the seat of somebody's car that I've been in all day. My eyes are still covered and my hands are tied behind my back, but I'm not scared anymore. The only thing that frightens me is when I began to hear the never ending, ear piercing gunshots.

"What's going on?" I ask the woman that I've been talking to all day. She never told me her name, but she has told me that her abusive boyfriend, the one that took me from the gas station, made her do this.

"Something a lot similar to war," she sighed, her soothing voice next to me in the backseat.

I sit quietly, listening to the open fire. I got a feeling my uncle is out there some where.

Suddenly, the blindfold is snatched away from my eyes, my vision, blurry at first, but then clears. "Look at me," the girl say beside me.

I turn my head to her direction. She's dark skinned with a flawless, heart-shaped face and almond-shaped, brown eyes. Her weave, a simple straight style with a middle part, is neat, black, and looks expensive.

"You're going to be fine and so is your uncle." she said with tears in her eyes. "Rashaud and his stupid-ass homeboys may have guns just like your uncle, but they won't stand a chance against Erik."

"You know my uncle?" I asked, surprised to hear his name.

She smiled through her tears before nodding her head at me. "Everyone does, girl."

"Wow," I say, totally shocked.

"Yeah...," her voice fades. "Listen, I'm going to untie you, and when I do, I want you to get as far as you can away from here, you hear me?"

I nodded my head as I turned my back around, giving her access to my hands.

As soon as her fingers were about to free me, a loud gunshot erupted behind me before blood, pieces of hard skull, and brain matter splatter on my back and in my hair. I turned around slowly, my heart thumping loudly in my chest. I let out a horrifying scream as my eyes layed on the headless, slumped over body that was going to set me free.

Suddenly, the back door in front of me was snatched open and I was relieved when my uncle's face came into view.

"Come on, Chloe!" he yelled, snatching me out of the car.

"I'm scared," I cry as he tossed my body over his shoulder, my hands still tied behind my back.

"Don't worry, I got you," he assured me as we went through abandoned apartment buildings until we got to a blue, waiting Charger.

Uncle Erik opened the door and threw me in the backseat before the car took off.

"Shhh... don't cry, Chloe. You're safe now, I promise," Ethic, my grandpa said from the driver's seat.

The only thing I could do was believe him and thank God I made it out alive as we sped down the street.