Chapter Thirty-Nine -- Betrayed

Meanwhile at Mississippi State Prison...

The loud clinging of bars woke Gumbo out of his peaceful sleeping slumber. It was the best rest he's gotten all week and is pissed off that it was cut short.

"Get on up boy, it's time for dinner," Miles, a correctional officer with a country drawl said in the door of his cell.

"Man, shit I could've missed that nasty ass shit y'all call food for one night," Gumbo complained, but waisted no time getting up from the bottom bunk of the cot. He knew Miles wouldn't hesitate to use the baton he kept on the side of his pants at all times.

"Hell nawwl, you won't die of starvation on our account. Now hurry your ass up, Gumboy."

Gumbo went down to the lunch room with the permanent scowl he kept on his face. He hated this place just like him, him, him, and oh, him too.

When Gumbo finally got his tray of supposedly mashed potatoes with gravy and Salisbury steak, he plopped his heavily muscled body down next to one of his homeboys.

Craig and Gumbo dapped hands like old buddy's before Craig proceeded to eat his food like it was filet mignon. Gumbo on the other hand, took small bites of the meat that was suppose to be steak, but tasted like pork mixed with bleu cheese.

"Heard about your girl?" Craig asked with a mouthful of potatoes.

"Nah," Gumbo shook his head.

He wasn't really interested 'cause unlike other niggas' girls around the facility his know how to keep her legs closed. Karly knew not to fuck around on him, especially since he was the one that brought her out of the dirty, roach infested project she used to live in.

"Heard she got shot last week in some niggas' bed. Word on the street says ol' boy's girl came home and went crazy before killing herself too. Nigga, it's all over the news!"

"Damn... foreal?" Gumbo couldn't believe his ears.

Craig nodded his head. "You won't believe who Karly fuckin' wit' either man. You remember that nigga who used to come and visit Kai? Man, that bitch dirty ass hell. I thought mine..."

Every other word out of Craig's mouth came out like he was speaking another language to him. He couldn't believe what this fool was telling him, but he should've known it would happen one day, besides, he was the one that told Karly to push up on the "ghost hit man" months ago...

You have a collect call from.... Gumbo, Gumbo's voice said his name, if you wish to accept this call--

Karly pressed the number one, cutting off the routine recorded voice.

She was getting fed up with everything. With no money to support herself or give to her momma and little sisters, she was shit out of luck. With no stash, Gumbo had left her confused, disgusted, alone, and broke as a fucking joke.

"What's up, baby?" Gumbo asked over the phone.

Shit, the phone bill that you're running up, that's what's up, she wanted to say, but decided to keep her cool. "Nothing," she mumbled.

"What's wrong, ma? You good?"

Karly couldn't help rolling her eyes. "Fuck no, I'm not good, Gumbo. While you living off three hots and a cot, I'm about to get evicted! All of our shit is going to be out on the streets in less than two weeks. Does that shit sound 'good' to you?"

She ran her fingers through her unkempt hair. She was tired of being sick and tired and since she didn't finish high school, she couldn't even get a decent job to pay for all of the things they have.

"So it's my fault I'm here? Is that what you saying? You think I want to be in this motherfucker? I want to be free just like you, Karly!" Gumbo yelled into the phone.

Karly let out a frustration sigh, realizing she was getting no where yelling into the phone with him.

"I got a job for you, ma," he said, suddenly calm.

"Gumbo, I'm not--"

"Hol' up, before you say anything, it's nothing like that, aight? Momma Maybelle straight, she just need you to feed her cat," he talked in code, meaning he wasn't talking about drugs and need her to put a bullet in a nigga he thinks a pussy instead.

Karly rubbed her temples, feeling an instant headache brew in her head. "Gumbo, I don't know about this..."

"You need the money, don't you?" he asked, growing angry with her hesitation.

"You know I need the money, but that cat is vicious," Karly said, meaning the game he's trying to get her to play isn't nothing to fuck with.

"Just scratch her back, baby," meaning if Karly played her cards right, she wouldn't have nothing to worry about.

He went on to tell her the plan to set up the 'untouchable' Erik in code. He told her he was going to be on the 'job' at Club Creme that Friday and to throw him off of his game by seducing him.

Unfortunately, the plan was a failure because Erik threw a completely different loop at Karly when he asked her to take the drink over to Spikes. It was then when she realized she couldn't kill nor hurt Erik, instead she wanted to join teams with him.

Who would've ever thought she'd fall in love with the man she was suppose to kill?

Gumbo slammed his hands on the prison's lunch table, stopping Craig's rant on 'low down bitches'.

He got up from the table with all eyes on his sudden act of anger. He had only one thing on his mind as he went back to his empty cell: end the lives of Karly and Erik.