Chapter Six

Here's chapter six!! I'm sorry, these are so boring, maybe I'll just stop doing them until I can upload regularly again...ugh this is so annoying. Well, enjoy!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Six

♣         Josh          ♣

The sound of Young's door slamming behind me did nothing to cut through the cloud of anger that was encircling me as I stormed out of his office, shoving my hands into my pockets. Wulf was standing just outside, and I tried to arrange an indifferent look on my face as he glanced at me. 

"Look, kid," he began, but I cut him off, indifference flying out the window.

"Don't even start on that crap. Tell me why Pierre is leaving, why everyone is saying he's part of some foreign agency, and–"

"He is," said Wulf flatly, and as I paused, he crossed his arms. "I told you all I could, Josh; don't take it out on me. No, I know," waving aside my apologies, "I know you didn't mean to. I'm just wondering how you didn't see this coming."

That was pretty much the worst bit. How had I not realized how strangely Pierre was acting? All his little connections, all his cryptic comments that I had assumed were simply him being bigheaded, and finding that freaking arsenal in the middle of France...how could we have been so stupid? I wouldn't even have minded as much if the whole thing hadn't been so blaringly obvious, and if I didn't have to deal with –

"Astrid," I said bitterly, slapping one hand to my forehead. "What do I do with her? She's in pieces. Pierre left last night, and ever since, I've been trying to figure out from Young what is going on. You've got to be able to tell me something."

Wulf sighed, glancing at our boss's door. "I don't know that much, kid, I'm telling you. This is only, what, the fifth time we've been through this?" He shook his head. "In all honesty, I think I'm only being briefed now. I know about as much as you do at the moment."

I exhaled loudly in frustration, turning away from him. "Thanks anyway. I suppose."

The irritation that was coming off of him in waves was almost tangible, and I knew I was being a jerk, but I was so fed up with all of it that I didn't care. Stalking down the hallway, I brushed shoulders with a few people as I turned corners, mumbling apologies as I made my way into the clearer air of the courtyard that was in the center of the square the buildings made.

Crashing down on a stone bench, I ran my hands through my hair, trying to let out my aggravation. I had known the moment Astrid had rushed out of the cafeteria that everything thereafter would be a mess, and it was. She had barely talked in the past day, except to Pierre and in a very heated discussion with Alan Young that I had heard through his office door. Pierre's departure had hit both of us hard, but whereas my anger was directed at him and myself, hers was completely and utterly at Young, which I didn't completely agree with. After all, he'd never been the most revealing of guys.

But even I was a little surprised at how torn-up she was over Pierre.

"Let me come with you," she had begged him, standing in a dark hallway as he was supposed to be departing. I had been standing near them, far away enough that they didn't notice me, but close enough for me to be unfortunate enough to hear what they were saying. He was holding her forearms, their faces only inches apart, and I was about to move away when I heard what she said. Freezing, I waited for Pierre's response.

"I can't let you do that."

"Why?" Astrid's voice was pleading. "Just explain to me what's going on!"