Chapter Twenty-Five

Hey guys! Happy to update again! This chapter was extremely emotional for me to write, so I hope you like it…I really hope you all don’t hate me now…but yeah um. So I’m actually almost done with Omega, I’m thinking maybe like oh I dunno but there should be around 30 chapters altogether. Maybe more. We’ll see. So yeah thank you for all the support you’ve given me, it’s really amazing to see the loads and loads of comments and votes when I log in, so THANK YOU!! :) now please enjoy this chapter! I hope to update within in a week!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Twenty-Five

♦            Charlie         ♦

Everything seemed to swirl away as we huddled in the doorway together, my arms wrapped around her and her face in my sweatshirt. It seemed like hours and hours but could only have been a few minutes, time standing still as my mind dipped away. I couldn’t look away from his body, even though I wanted to think of anything but it, and all I could think was don’t let her see it, don’t let her see it.

I had never seen her lose control like that before; it scared me. And yet, even through my shock, a little voice in the back of my mind was wondering if she had been like this when she thought I had died, if she had fallen apart and acted as if her world had ended. Because even if Jay understood right before he died, it would mean nothing unless she did, too.

My legs had fallen asleep, numb underneath the bloodstained shirt wrapped around my thigh, but I ignored them and concentrated on Astrid and her quivering body and the smell of her hair. The back of her jacket left black dust on my hands, its charred fabric rough against my skin. The wind whipped at our faces and hair, stinging my cheeks. It had to be getting later in the afternoon; the sun was beginning to sink in the west, staining the sky red like the blood splashed across his chest…

I closed my eyes and tried to will myself away from it all, but the sound of running footsteps and voices a few hundred meters away made me wrench them open. My body tensed as I scrabbled around on the ground with one hand where I had dropped my gun.

Her head rose away from my chest as I removed one arm from her, her face blank as she looked from the gun to the street. I felt strangely detached as well, forcing myself to concentrate and pick up the gun, though my hand was shaky as I pointed it, as though my mind didn’t accept the possibility of danger. Of course, it had been ages since I had been concerned for myself, but it scared me that I had to forcibly remind myself about Astrid.

“Stay here,” I told her, my voice distant.

She just looked at me, confusion swimming in her teary eyes, and I tried to give her a reassuring look as I grabbed the side of the doorway to propel myself to my feet. I had barely stood and gone a few steps before my injured leg buckled beneath me, and I fell hard on both knees. Swearing, I knuckled the ground and attempted to rub feeling back into the pins-and-needles that dotted my skin, disregarding it entirely as the voices grew nearer.

Two shapes entered the street, one clearly holding a gun, and I immediately whipped my own gun up, centering it on the greater threat. My vision flickered slightly, so I didn’t recognize the figures and almost fired at them until one of them put his hands in the air and called out to me in a familiar voice.