Chapter Two

Right, so as I said, I accidentally deleted this in November 2012 so this is being uploaded again and I kinda forgot what my author's notes said...sorry to spoil your entertainment. So! Let me give it a try: Here's chapter two!! I'm so excited for it!...yeah, sorry. Anyway. I'll just let you read.

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Two

♣         Josh          ♣

            “Stupid rain,” I muttered, wiping my face dry for the umpteenth time.

            Janice Smythe, one of the agents Delta had sent to help me, gave me a sideways glance from where she lay on her stomach next to me. “Anyone would think we were in England,” she commented, and I grinned. I liked this twenty-seven-year-old agent, even though I had thought she was sort of strict when we had first met.

            We were lying on top of large hill bumping out of the flat countryside of the part of France we were in. Below, in back of us, we had set up a temporary camp as we set our sights on what lay ahead: a rickety-looking red barn and white farmhouse, lying about six hundred meters away from where we were, partially surrounded by a small cluster of apple trees. It looked cute enough, but that wasn’t the reason why I was lying with a sniper’s rifle in front of me and Janice as a spotter by my side. This little farmhouse was where Decrioux – or Cloying, which apparently was his true name – was stationed.

            And where Pierre was.

            Our plan was to get him out, but as we had only been here a couple hours, we didn’t really have any ideas at that point. Janice and I were stationed as lookouts while Wulf, the leader of this group, tried to figure out a game plan. October was almost halfway gone, and we had chased Cloying over what felt like nearly all of France, him slipping past us more than once. I just hoped that Pierre was still alive, that Cloying hadn’t gotten fed up with him yet.

            Janice sighed, running her hand through her long dark ponytail. I drummed my fingers on the barrel of the rifle in front of me, gazing down at the barn house and feeling frustrated. “This is what I hate most,” I said to her, feeling her eyes on me. “You know, without a plan and just stuck here–”

            “–waiting,” she finished, nodding. “Well, at least this will be one of my last assignments.”

            I looked at her. “Why?”

            “Jealous?” She smiled, propping herself up on one elbow to waggle her left hand at me. A small gold ring glistened on her finger. I stared at it as her hazel eyes laughed at my shock.

            “What – wow – congrats!” I stammered, distracted from the barn now as I examined the ring. “Who’s the lucky fellow?”

            Her smile grew even wider, her eyes sparkling and her cheeks flushing slightly as she said in an unnaturally dreamy voice, “Hans.”

            It took me a moment to realize who she was talking about, and then I couldn’t help making an eww face. “Wulf?”