Chapter Twenty-Eight

Hey! So I’m updating super early, haha, surprised you, I bet. But I’m almost done with Omega and I gotta give you all of it by next Thursday, so the updates are gonna be pretty frequent. I hope that’s a good thing. Thank you ALL so much for reading and everything, it means so much to me and all of your support has made so many crappy days much better. So a HUGE thank you :) Now, I hope you enjoy this chapter and the ones to come!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Twenty-Eight

♣         Josh          ♣

Astrid completely broke down at that point. I thought she had been emotional back in the cell when she had cried in my arms, but after the doctor finished talking, she just went to pieces, almost hysterical as she sobbed into the sheet. I crouched next to her, trying to speak soothingly as I put my arm back around her shoulders, but she refused to be solaced, to the point that Doctor Harry Neil stuck a needle in her arm and she collapsed to the ground.

“What the hell!” I shouted at him, catching her head a moment before it cracked against the floor. Her body was completely limp, eyes closing with tears still pooling in them. The doctor ignored me, saying something sharply to the Omega agent in the room. He disappeared, returning a moment later with another man and a stretcher.

“It’s just a calming drug,” said the doctor as I tried to resist the agents. “They’re going to take her to another hospital room, that’s all, I swear. She needs to be checked up too – haven’t you noticed all the blood over her arm?”

Forcing my fatigued mind to think logically, I allowed the agents to lift her onto the stretcher, getting to my feet as well and staggering slightly. Catching one end of the stand next to Charlie’s bed, I watched them wheel her out, feeling helpless and panicked and exhausted. The IV brushed against my arm, making me jump and then feel repulsed, surrounded by the machines that were just barely keeping his body alive, their beeping and humming inundating my ears.

The doctor stepped forward, caught my arm to steady me. “You all right there?” His gaze was steady, reassuring. “Maybe we should find you a hospital bed, too?”

I shook my head, my eyes distracted by the noise of the oxygen hissing through the machine attached to Charlie’s body. That old pathological fear of hospitals was rushing back, my mouth dry as I stepped away from the bed, suddenly feeling as if someone had placed heavy weights on my shoulders. All my reassuring talk to Astrid had been bluster and hopeful thinking that was soon squashed as I saw his white, bruised face and heard the doctor’s prognosis and watched just how big a struggle it was even for a machine to breathe for him.

“He’s not going to make it, is he?” My voice seemed too loud in the hospital room as my feet continued to move away from the bed, my eyes still on his face. “You were just trying to reassure Astrid, weren’t you?”

His eyes were weary. “I wasn’t lying when I said time would tell. There’s not much we can do at this point but feed him blood, water, and oxygen, and then just let nature do its work.”

“Yeah, well, what if it doesn’t?” I shot back, wondering vaguely why my body was trembling as I pressed my back up against the wall next to the door. The doctor was looking at me strangely; a light flashed on the lens of his glasses so that I couldn’t see the expression in his eyes, and when he spoke, his voice was very gentle.