Chapter Seventeen

Hello!! Sorry this update took a while, chapter 18 is complete crap right now, I’m sorry, actually this chapter’s pretty crappy too. I just haven’t been in the Omega mood for a while and wanted to just finish the chapter before I destroyed it so yeah. Maybe I can go back and edit later, I don’t know. So yeah it may be a little while before I update again, sorry, because I had another idea for a book and I’m really excited and when that happens everything else leaves my mind, I think it’s ADD…but yeah. So thank you so much for being patient with me, I’m a terrible author really, and enjoy this chapter!! And please vote/comment loads, please tell me what you think, it means loads to me! Love you all!

Gracias!!! <3 vb123321

Chapter Seventeen

♣         Josh          ♣

We were falling apart. I was most worried about Charlie, after his breakdown at the bar, watching him carefully as we exited the building and walked tensely in the growing darkness down a backstreet to the safe house. He was jumpy, his hand obviously tightly clutching the gun in his pocket and his eyes still wild, and he insisted we round the corner and advance the house from the back just in case anyone was watching the street. Gauging that his nerves were high-strung enough, I refrained from pointing out that if someone was watching the street, they could just follow us to the house.

“Don’t tell Astrid,” he said again suddenly, as we approached the house. “She’ll freak out, and I don’t want to worry her.”

I looked at him for a long moment, hesitating as my conscience and my brain had a little struggle. “Do you think she should know, though, if something’s the matter?”

“Nothing’s the matter.” His voice was vehement, and though it was too dark for me to make out his expression, I could see that his eyes were burning fiercely. “It’s just something that I have to deal with. I can get over this.”

I wasn’t too sure but nodded anyway, my heart heavy as I pushed open the back door of the safe house. This choice was completely up to him, as I didn’t even really know what was going on with it, but I still felt wrong, as though I should have argued with him longer. The look in his eye warned me not to, and remembering how distraught he had been in the bathroom and the shock on his face when he had seen the swarthy man, I kept silent.

Astrid appeared in the kitchen, alarmed, as we entered, and relief was evident on her face as Charlie shut the door behind us. “Thank goodness you guys are safe,” she said, but her eyes were on Charlie. “I was starting to get a little worried…” And then her eyes narrowed as she looked at our empty hands. “Did you forget where the grocery store is or something?”

We had forgotten that going to the grocery had been our excuse for getting out of the building. I glanced back guiltily at Charlie, who shrugged. He was looking at Astrid with an expression I couldn’t read on his face; it looked like it was taking all his effort not to run and put his arms around her. What had he said in the bathroom of the bar? He’s going to find her; he’s going to hurt her. What had that man done to him?

“They were out of eggs,” I said, turning back to Astrid with a straight face. “So we just went for a walk.”

“I didn’t ask for eggs!” But she smiled. “Come on; I have some dinner ready. You’re probably starving.”