Chapter Fourteen

Hey! So I was gonna update tomorrow as my birthday present to you, but I decided to do so today cuz I dunno if I’m going to be able to. But I’m celebrating my birthday Thursday anyway, cuz tomorrow’s Ash Wednesday and all, so whatevs. I can’t believe it’s only been a week since I’ve updated, so much has happened. I went out of town and got the stomach flu and skipped school yesterday and today and wow yeah. But yeah, here’s an update and hopefully one again next week because four day weekend this weekend yay!! :D Please vote and comment loads, it means so much! Oh and “follow” me?? I don’t know why this changed? But yeah, enjoy my last upload to you as a 14 year old!!!! Ahh!

Gracias! <3 vb123321

Chapter Fourteen

♣         Josh          ♣

I wouldn’t have been able to believe it if I hadn’t been seeing it with my own eyes, because every neuron in my brain was in protest, saying that it couldn’t be true. But there was Charlie, sprawled across the back seat of the car, unconscious in Astrid’s lap. His face was ashen and his breathing was shallow, and she was still blue with cold and her teeth were chattering, but she was smiling as her head dipped to one side and her eyes closed. Within a few moments, her breathing slowed to match Charlie’s. And though she was still shaking and her face was white, I had never seen her look so happy.

Somehow, even though my mind was spinning wildly, we managed to make it back to the flat in record timing. The clouds were heavy in the dark sky and I knew it was only a matter of time before it started to snow and snow a lot, and so while I didn’t kill anyone on the London roads that night, I didn’t make any friends either. Joel fell asleep after about fifteen minutes, curled up like a cat in shotgun. For much of the ride, I found myself wondering what went on his head, because of all the crazy stuff that had happened to him.

When we arrived at the apartment, it took so long to wake Astrid that I actually became a little scared, shaking her roughly until she jerked into consciousness. She barely seemed to hear me as I told her she needed to help me take Charlie inside, since Joel was standing there looking lost and was no help at all. I had to forcibly move her out of the car and make her stand next to me so that I could use her shoulder to support Charlie, which she did readily enough. We then staggered inside, the bleary-eyed Joel holding open doors until at last we laid Charlie’s limp body down on the couch.

Astrid fell to her knees right there on the ground, leaning her chin on the edge of the couch and holding Charlie’s hand. She didn’t respond to anything I said to her, even when I suggested that we could drag an armchair next to the couch that she could sit in so that she would be more comfortable. Joel threw himself onto it instead, almost falling asleep until I managed to convince him that his bed would be more comfortable. I felt like a mother, making sure he made it into the bedroom before turning off his light and checking on Astrid, who hadn’t moved.

 I stood in the doorway of the tiny living room for several minutes, just watching the two of them. It wasn’t much, as Charlie was still dead to the world and Astrid was just kneeling there clutching his hand as if her life depended on it; but somehow, even though everything was slipping downhill in a rapid spiral and I wasn’t really sure of anything anymore, I felt that it was the closest we’d ever been, just the three of us in silence, not really aware of each other but feeling it all the same.

At last I gave up on Astrid and crashed in the armchair, finally dropping off around five and sleeping fitfully for what I thought was a few hours. When I awoke, however, it was two o’clock in the afternoon on Thursday, and everything was quiet. Joel was still asleep in the bedroom, Astrid had finally drifted off with her head on the couch and her hand clasped loosely around Charlie’s, and though I couldn’t tell if Charlie himself was actually asleep or merely unconscious, it was a peaceful time.