Chapter Twenty-One

Hello! Sorry it took me so long to update, I was out of town and I’ve been so busy with track and everything, I’m so sorry! Good news though – it’s on the agenda to finish Omega by June 12th (my last day of school) because after that I won’t be able to write for like 5 weeks, so I’m going to do my best to finish. 47 days! This is pretty stressful. So hopefully I’ll be able to upload mas frecuentamente. So enjoy this chapter and please comment loads, tell me what you think! What’s going to happen, who’s going to do what?!

Gracias!!! <3 vb123321

***** Recap: ******

“I am wondering a couple things, though.” Astrid didn’t let him speak. “Why don’t you have a British accent?” And as Pierre rolled his eyes, she continued. Only the sudden tautening of the skin across her cheekbones gave me warning; her voice didn’t change at all as she said calmly, “And why is that Stephen guy from the SIS sitting at that table over there?”

Chapter Twenty-One

♦            Charlie         ♦

SIS? What was she talking about?

I stiffened, glancing over Pierre’s head as he managed to pull off a reasonably good look of fake surprise. The college kid I had seen earlier and then ignored was half-facing us, seemingly focused on the laptop before him, but I got a good look at him. His sandy hair was hidden by a baseball cap that also hid his face as he slouched in his booth. I wasn’t sure if it was really him – after all, I’d only seen him once on the train back in France and didn’t know him personally – but if Astrid said it was him, then it was.

And those men in business suits…why did they keep looking up?

How could we have been so stupid? Immediately I stood, taking Astrid’s arm and pulling her up as well. Pierre got to his feet at the same time, one hand in his pocket as he looked at me warningly.

“Don’t do anything stupid, Charlie.”

“Who’s being stupid?” I shot back, clenching the handle of my gun in my pocket. “We’re just going to leave now, if that’s okay with you.”

“It’s not, actually,” he said passively, stepping into my path as I tried to push past him. I glared at him, my mind working furiously as I glanced from the nervous-looking cashier to the men in the suits to Stephen. Calculating. How many of them would risk firing a gun in a public café? Those teenaged girls couldn’t be part of their agency.

“Pierre.” Astrid was so taut that I thought she might snap. “You gave me your word that I could trust you.”

“You thought that meant something?” I would’ve laughed if the atmosphere wasn’t snapping with tension.

“You can trust me.” Pierre’s face hadn’t changed expression. “No one’s threatening you. Come back with us; we can help you.”

Astrid was wavering, just a little, but I shook my head, scoffing, “Please, spare me the crap. You don’t want to help us, you want to use us. We know you want the kid, Pierre, but we also know what else you want.”